How different is Autism from Mental Retardation?

Before anybody starts complaining let me tell you that I know students with mental retardation as a diagnosis and let me tell you too that they have so much potential with learning new skills.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• All of you who have no idea what the difference is, you obviously have not been exposed to autistic children. There is a significant difference between autism and retardation! Development with autism is very uneven--there are strengths as well as weaknesses, and I'm NOT talking about "Rain Man" or savants. My son is nearly 15 and is better at memory skills and directions than I will ever be. The "retardation" you think you see is due to an overwhelming of the brain's ability to process. Everything is processed at once--the TV, the cars passing by, Mom's instructions. Screening out extraneous noise is often impossible, and the brain doesn't know what to do, which hampers neurological processing and verbal expression. This is VERY different from retardation...and opinions have to be based on knowledge and research. If you have not researched and have no experience with autism, you CANNOT have an informed opinion!!
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Well, with mental retardation, they are slower at doing things and may be at a certain age level. With Autism, they usually are super smart, but, some cannot communicate or can't stand certain situations or noise. Some have no people skills, they can't read cues while talking to people. Like, they make obsess over a certain object, like Trains for instance...they will talk on and on and on...even if you show them that you don't care, they don't get it. Some are so far gone on the spectrum that they seem mentally retarded, but, they just can't focus on people and haven't got emotion or speech. There are many different kinds of Autism. But, mental retardation is only one thing. Mentally behind where they should be...whether it is alot or very little.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• IN MY OPINION - there is no difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Anon 952 and OP need to do more research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Anon 952- i dont need more research, thats MY OPINION! dont like it? dont pay attention to it! my opinion , autism is the same as retardation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you have not researched and have no experience with autism, you CANNOT have an informed opinion!!
    ---
    umm...as i said i dont need more research , im not changing my opinion. yes i have alot of experience w/ autistic children and experience w/ kids w/ mental retardation ... and yet i see no difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• "umm...as i said i dont need more research , im not changing my opinion. yes i have alot of experience w/ autistic children and experience w/ kids w/ mental retardation ... and yet i see no difference."

Obviously, you don't have such experience, or you wouldn't say something so ignorant...and only a COWARD posts something like that anonymously!
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Annon 952 is obviously a troll. I've met a lot of stupid people but no one could really be THAT stupid.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 10:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2009