Designer dogs?

Don't people realize these dogs are just mutts? These cocka-poos, labra-doodles, and so on. Why are people charging so much for mutts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• LOL, I get such a kick out of this! Come on people, you can go to the humane society and pick up a "designer" dog for cheap!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It doesn't make any sense at all, but some people are just totally clueless. And I refuse to call the dogs whatever-doodles, or whatever-poos. I simply will call them a Cocker Spaniel Poodle mix or a Lab Poodle mix, because that is what they are.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree - they are just a mixed breed dog. We bought our purebred chocolate lab from a breeder who was also breeding "labra-doodles" and selling them for $1000!!! That's more than we paid for our lab! Crazy...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 10:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Right! "Designer dogs" are just a way for greedy people to make money selling a mutt. But I don't feel sorry for those who buy them because they are just as stupid for not doing their research.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• OMG I work at kennel/doggie daycare and you would not believe how much some of our customers paid for their "designer" dogs. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles are the most popular right now. We had one customers with a Puggle (annoying little sh*t) and he paid $2000!! You gotta be kidding me!!! Chiwienies (Chiahuahua-Doxie mix) are getting popular too. ugh, I dont get it. You know those "breeders" are getting a kick out of it though. They are making hella money off ignorance.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I had a couple of these "designer dogs" when I was a kid! (Mutts is what they were, and what they were called.) Great dogs, but accidents, every one of them. Geez, too bad we didn't know they were worth so much, and too bad the owners of the parent dogs didn't know to charge us thousands of $$ for them, either! A mutt is a mutt is a mutt, and putting a fancy name on it isn't going to make it anything else.
    Anonymous

• They charge so much because there are stupid people that will continue to pay it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yeah i don't get it if they want a dog that doesn't shed then get the poodle but to mix it with a lab or golden is stupid. if there are people willing to pay for them that's their business. my mil breeds her puggle with their chi. talk about a mutt. people buy them but they never are ever more then $200 i think. the puggle they have had for yrs and i don't think it was considered a designer breed then. i have seen chipoos bischon poos etc. they are sprouting up every where. i lady in my hood was walking her golden and asked if our poodle was fixed. she wanted to breed hers with ours but sadly they were the same sex plus mine is fixed.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't quite get the designer dog trend but we do have a puggle that we got for $100 about 6 months before they became popular. We got our puggle because he fit our family needs and was the perfect size and temperment for us. I think anyone who buys an expensive dog, designer or not is ridiculous. My best dogs as a child all came from the dog shelter.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• So, Lil Angel...you don't think $100 for a mutt is ridiculous? Did the dog at least have its shots?
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 9:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2009