How do you keep your house from smelling like dog?

We have a 65 pound golden retriever that's an indoor dog. My husband may be getting laid off soon, which means we'd have to put our house up for sale and move to a larger city so he can find work.

How can I make my house smell good? It's not a dirty smell, it's just a dog smell (she smells a little like corn chips). The smell is mainly in the carpet and vacuuming seems to really stir up the smell. I also have an indoor cat and two toddlers in diapers.

I can't do plug ins because of the little ones; they will pull them out. And my husband won't let me burn candles because he read an article about the burning wax being bad for children's lungs. So, I'm open to any other suggestions.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 9:55 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Very simple. Get rid of the dog, no more smell. And besides, if your hubby is going to be laid off (and collecting unemployment or PA), then not having to pay for dog food, vet bills, pet meds, ect will help. JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• you could try having the carpets/apolstery/drapes cleaned professionally..but you'll have to be able to keep the dog/cats off until you sell. if you get a cleaner smell, its only going to last as long as you keep the offenders away....sprays/candles only mask the scent, and with a large indoor pet, they don't do a good job anyway.
    also, if you aren't in the habit, you should thoroughly bath the dog once a week, maybe more in the summertime.
    when ready to show the home, you'll need to remove all signs of pets(dishes/beds/toys/litter box)...they don't help sell a home, unless its acreage and someone needs pasture land! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• febreze and out!. The latter stuff  completely removed skunk spray smell out of my truck bed liner!

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wow. I can't believe that first post. Hopefully you won't take that terrible advice.
    The best thing to do is to bathe your dog regularly, wash dog bedding or anything the dog comes in contact with at least weekly, vacuum often, clean floors often, and you can always freshen things up with something like Febreeze. There are candles out there that are not harmful but they are more expensive. Air the house out any chance you get too, nothing like fresh air, the cooler the better... Hope that helps.
    And I really hope your husband doesn't lose his job. :(
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I SWEAR by Febreeze! You may need to spray your carpets, sofas and draperies several times (especailly where your dog sleeps, eats and enters/exits from regularly) AND open windows, but i think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Funny story, my husband ACCIDENTALLY threw out 4 brand new slip covers that costs $250 (still factory sealed) into our condo complex community dumpster! They were there for a couple of days, we didn't notice until we finished painting the dining room, and realized they were gone!

My INCREDIBLY BRAVE husband went "dumpster diving" and found them. I thought they were ruined, but I sprayed the Hell out of them with FeBreeze, and honestly you couldn't tell the difference even a few days later! I even had a friend do a "smell test" and she didn't notice anything wrong with them--AFTER we told her what happened! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree with using Febreze. I also use the powder that you sprinkle on the carpet and then vacuum up. It's really more of a masking thing, but it does make the house smell better.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thanks for the advice. Please keep it coming.

Getting rid of the animals is not an option. We are responsible pet owners. Both the cat and dog are old and we want to minimize the stress. We are in a slightly rural area of TX and animals are no offensive to home buyers here. Almost everyone has pets. It's just this is a buyer's market and you have to do everything to make your home shine compared to others.

It's easier to sell a home you aren't living in. Diaper, a dog, and a cat make this a challenge for me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Febreeze works wonders, and there is even one out there especially for Animal smells. I saw it at my local Dollar Tree the other day, so it shouldn't be too expensive. You can also put Arm & Hammer in the cat's litter and that wll keep it from smelling too bad. Hope all goes well and Good Luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Febreeze is awesome. Bath and Body Works has something like Febreeze that I use. The first time I used it I sprayed it like 6 times. I quickly learned that on 2 sprays are necessary. I also burn oils, use wallflowers and the B&BW room sprays are unbelievably wonderful!! B&BW has sales ALL the time so I usually just go once or twice a year and stock up! Oh btw, I have a golden retriever and a pit/boxer mix. People comment all the time how wonderful my house smells (it makes me feel sooo good!!!).
    Don't get rid of your dog unless you absolutely HAD to, disregard the first post!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• First post is an idiot! It would be cheaper to not have children to feed anymore since your husband will lose his job. You should put them up for adoption so you don't have the expenses.... I CANNOT STAND PEOPLE THAT THINK OF PETS AS TEMPORARY ENTERTAINMENT. GETTING A PET IS A COMMITMENT YOU DON' TJUST GIVE UP ON YOUR PET THAT YOU HAVE COMMITTED TO.

As far as the original question. Have the carpet and furniture cleaned. Try to keep your dog outside during the day so that the smell does not saturate. Use fabreze and air out the place daily.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2009