ADD??

My 15 yo son was diagnosed with ADD about 2 1/2 yrs ago. He took concerta for about 2 months then he just didn't want to take it. He is very smart, but has a hard time concentrating. We both agree he needs something to help him focus because he starts physics in summer school next month. It takes forever to get in to see a specialist. And honestly I would rather have him take something all natural that I can pick up at Whole Foods or GNC. Anyone have any suggestions?

eluc

Asked by eluc at 9:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Fish oil. My kids take it. They still have to take meds b/c theirs is really severe, but the fish oil does make a difference. Fish oil helps with pretty much any and everything you can think of: heart problems, joint pain, PMS (my cramps have gone away dramatically since I started taking it), eye health, depression and bipolar can even be helped, to a degree, by it. They sell it in capsules and in liquid form, the liquids are usually flavored. I just buy mine at the grocery store. I take the Naturemade capsules, my kids take a liquid made by someone else....can't remember who makes it now. Nordic Naturals is one that comes highly recommended.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Call the pediatrician and ask them to prescrible Vyvanse, my son has been on it for a year and it is awesome. If he doesn't take it, he can't concentrate at school and his grades slip and so does his self esteem. Have him treat the ADD like any other disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think ADD is a crock of shit. It's something made up by idiots that dont want to admit that there are other idiots out there. People are stupid, it happens, no need to take medication for it. 100 years ago, no one would notice that he has "ADD", he just wouldn't become a doctor.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 7:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wow, MammaBella, you are quite the meanie-pants!
    Anyway, OP: There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Yes, MammaBella, That was harsh! But I am not going to argue with you. But let me inform you, My child is no idiot. Because of his TAKS grades were so high in 5th grade, he was invited by Duke University to take the SATs when he was in the 7th grade. He takes two A/P classes every year. His homework and classwork don't really get done, but his test grades are always A's. The problem is his homework and that it takes him longer to finish his projects because he can be easily distracted. NOT BECAUSE HE IS STUPID! He is nothing near stupid. And as for 100 yrs ago, kids used to get licks with switches from trees when their work was not done. Do you think that would help him better than fish oil??
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 11:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2009