Do you think that the choice to formula feed/breastfeed from birth is a reflection on how much you care about your child's health?

I'm not talking about people who TRIED to breastfeed but couldn't - let me get that straight!

There seems to be a stigma to choosing to NOT breastfeed and never trying - like moms who don't have no care for the health of their child.

Is it a real reflection of how much you care?

(Let me repeat again - I'm NOT talking about moms who DID TRY to breastfeed, but couldn't.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope , i care about my child more than i care about my damn self , to be honest. I never wanted to BF , when i thought about it , it wasnt for me . (oh god bad mom award comming right) My kids are happy and healthy and lovvvvved to death! I honestly do put my kids 1st, and care about them more than i do care about my self
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No and I think this is ridiculous.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't think it is a reflection of how much you care, I think its a reflection of your lack of education on the subject.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't know....I choose to breastfeed and am still going strong almost a year later. My SIL choose not the breastfeed her two kids, she definitely loves them VERY much. But she regrets choosing formula over breast milk...
    I think that moms just need to decide what is right for them and their baby and we have no right to tell them that they are right or wrong
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No - there are a lot of different factors that go into the choice, but I would seriously doubt the primary factor is how much a parent cares about their child's health.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I exclusivelly bf my first two til table foods and last baby I bf until it wasn't enough which was a month of two after birth. Formula and breast combined kept her growing well. I would have done either. No mother is bad for not bf. All three of my kids had tons of infant sicknesses and all kids do even if exclusively bf. Even w/o daycare there's sneezes and infections floating around in stores that land on our kids and on items we touch in stores. Bf does not stop an infant from getting sick but it's still very very good for them. No mom should ever feel gullty for doing the best feedling whether it's formula or breast. I support healthy baby healthy mommy what ever it takes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, I do not think that it is a reflection of how much one cares for her child. I never wanted to breast feed my oldest son b/c I was uncomfortable with the idea and I had heard other mothers say that sometimes their children did not latch and as a new mother I had enough to feel defeated about without adding the additional pressure of breast feeding. I breast fed my youngest for as long as I could but I could not produce enough milk to sustain him. I think that FEEDING your child, CLOTHING your child and most importantly LOVING your child are what really matters.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 10:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Definitely not. What a crappy question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I breastfed for the health of my child and myself. But, it would never occur to me to form an opinion as to what another woman chooses to do or not do with her own body.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thanks anon, i try. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2009