Your understanding of Skip Bo rules (piog Just for fun)

We learned to play skipbo with the understanding that when you make your personal discard piles that you have to lay out the cards 4 across then you build on them.

My mother's step-grandchildren just got the game and understand the rules to be that you can build on one pile as much as you like without making 4 across before you build, on personal discard piles.

Which is it? Of course, in the end, I still like to hold to "house rules" but I'd still like to know how the game is played correctly. What do you understand that to be?

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 10:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Entertainment

• It has been a really long time since I played but I think I played that you do not have to make four piles before build on the first pile. Like if you have two fours you can stack them instead of making a new pile. That is just the way we played with my nan, I don't think I ever actually ever read the rules.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have it here but the directions are lost. We always play you piles are you buisness however you want to stack them is fine.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 2:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I've been playing Skip-Bo for about 20 years now...

Here is the rule about the discard pile:
    Discard piles

If a player cannot play onto any of the build piles, or chooses not to, then he/she must place one card in one of their four discard piles face-up. In subsequent turns, the player can use the five cards in his/her hand or any of the top cards from the discard piles. Exactly which discard pile to use or which card to discard is up to the player. For example, most of the time it would be more helpful to have a 3 card on top of a 4 card such that if the 3 card is played then the 4 card can be played. If all four discard piles have been started then a player may be forced to place a higher numbered card on top of a lower numbered card.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We've always played it that you can build on your discard piles however you want.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2009