• In the Spotlight:

How long does the stomache flu last?

My daughet has been vomiting and having runny diarrea for 11 days. I've taken her to the doctor 2 times and he says it is the stomache flu. Is it normal for it to go this long? She will not eat anything one day and then eat very little the next. Then throw it all up the next day or that night. If she drinks anything it comes back up within a few mins. I'm really worried and her doctor keeps saying she is fine. Should I go to another doctor or am I just over reacting? I don't know if this matters but after she eats she prejectile vomits. It shoots across the room. When she doesn't eat it is just clear or slightly yellowish and she gags a lot. Her poop is yellow and really watery. It leaks out of the diaper as soon as she does it. Sometimes it is just colored water. Thanks in advance for any advice.

jflowers

Asked by jflowers at 10:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• About 2-3 weeks. Make sure she stays hydrated. The flu is NO fun. We all had it this year too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Diarrhea can last for a few weeks, but I think I would worry a little bit about her still throwing up. Have the checked out her tummy with an X-ray at all? I would be worried a little about her tummy being blocked... is her stomach more round than normal?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The flu usually does not have diaherra or vomitting, that would be a virus. The flu is mainly respiratory. The flu usually lasts only a couple of days. Make sure she is hydrated. I would also take her to the ER or call the doc again, 11 days of this is way too long, especially because she isn't eating and nothing is staying down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• tyfry... every time I, or anyone I know has had the flu, it has inculded diaherria and vomitting.... that is what the doctors look for to see if we have the flu or not. About 2 weeks sounds right... week 3 should be the slowly getting back to normal week. But that is in an adult. I would deffinatly take her to the ER if its been 11 days.... still in diapers she is way to young to go this long without eating and having diaherria and vomitting. How is she keeping any fluids in her system? I would be extremely worried about dehydration.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• She had an x-ray in the beginning b/c we thought she swallowed something. But she never passed it and is still sick. Her x-ray was clear too. She has been able to keep sprite down today and some macaroni. Yesterday she had some pedyalite but only had half a sippy cup all day. She goes one day of eating a little and the next day throwing it all up. We are taking her to the ER if she throws up again.
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 4:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• A stomach "flu" can be either a bacterial infection or a virus. I'm guessing since the doctor didn't prescribe an antibiotic, it's a virus. Nausea, diarrhea, fever, lack of appetite, headache, weakness are all typical symptoms. I'm guessing your child is 3 or under since you mentioned a diaper, which makes me a little nervous. Her symptoms seem to be lasting longer than normal. While the flu can last 2 weeks, symptoms usually lessen after 5-6 days or so, not keep up this bad for this long. Was she checked for parasites or food poisoning? Did they do a blood test or stool culture? Honestly, I would get a second opinion and demand that both her stool and blood be tested. It's REALLY important you keep her hydrated with pedialite or gatorade. (not milk or orange juice). Let us know. :)
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 6:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• He never did any test on her and didn't really look at her. He listened to her lung, heart and bowels but that was it. She is 18 months. She only has vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite. We are going to take her to the ER to have her checked out. We can't get a new doctor until the 1st b/c of our insurance. :(
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 11:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I took her to the ER and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She is better now!
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 11:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2009