birthing classes!

I am stuck in the hospital still and they dont know if I will be coming out in the next days or if I will have to stay untill the end! the problem is that I hadnt been ablr to take any birthing classes! are they that important or are they just helpfull?

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 10:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't take any and I did great! I've been told you don't remember half the stuff they tell you anyway!

You'll do just fine! Your body knows what it's doing and your instincts will take over! and if you have good nurses they'll help you too! don't worry, you'll do just fine!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think they are VERY important. Some people will argue "that all women's bodies know what to do" and while that is true I think it's important to have some education about your options as well as information about routine procedures so that when they are thrown at you, you can make educated decisions whether it's about monitoring, drugs, positions or anythin else you may encounter.

I also think they are good because they help to give you confidance about your birth and help you to understand that contrary to what TV tells us you CAN have an enjoyable birthing experience with or without drugs.

I suggest Hypnobabies. It's been a amazing class PLUS if you have to be on bed rest or anything after your hospital visit you can do the home study course which doesn't require you to leave bed. You can order it at www.hypnobabies.com.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We did not take the class, but we did watch a dvd called "Laugh and Learn about Childbirth" you can rent it from nexflix or buy from babies r us for $30...it was worth it I am so glad we did watch it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think it depends on what classes you are looking to take and if you are going natural..
    I took at general birthing class, and it was alright, I could of done without it. I had an epidural, but if I was going to go natural I would have taken a lamaze class for sure.
    fmacmillan

Answer by fmacmillan at 11:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The hgospital birthing classes are really just to be informed about their protocol, and to get familiar with the different sensations and stuff during labor so you dont get scared thinking something is not normal. LEt your nurses know you didnt make it to a class and they should help you out alot, taking time to explaine some things a bit better and so on. You will do fine. Alot of what they teach is more about deep relaxation and common knowledge for birth anyway.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009