What do you tell your kids when they come to you and say...I'm bored!

AARRGG!!! That just boils my blood they have so much to do and they come and ask this question. We have just about everything to do.....those spoiled ungrateful kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I tell them fine, you are bored with your, books, games, toys, etc..I can find something to do. I thien hand them the appropriate things it will take to either
    a) pull weeds
    b) clean a bathroom
    c) clean a floor
    d)insert any chore you know they hate.

It is amazing how quickly they can entertain themselves after they are done. I never let them back paddle and say ..uh no Im not really bored.
    The other thing I do though is I have them write a story every day. We do something that requires 'math' thinking everyday. They have to read at least 20 mins each day. These don't have to be hardcore acedemics. Sometimes I make it a contest. For the story I will start the page with...One dark, stormy night... That kind of thing. We do some artsy/craftsy stuff a couple times a week.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I give them chores like clean your room, fold clothes , give them a cleaning or organizing project and they will quickly overcome boredom. I have also told ds that I will shut off tv, computer and electronics to show him what it was like when I was a kid. Bored games...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:31 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I also give them chores. If they are bored... I tell them "If you are bored we have plenty for you to do!"
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Good Ideas!! I have the same problem if I hear it one more time today I'm gonna scream!!! Yesterday my hubby said to have the little one draw him a picture and the older one write him a poem and they LOVED it. It was neat to see their creativity too. Think I'll call him for their "assignment for the day". Loved the suggestions! Keep them coming!
    Becca713

Answer by Becca713 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• anytime I hear I'm Bored!!!!! something gets cleaned....I don't hear it much any more.
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 12:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My kids really do get bored since I took away all their toys and books because they refused to keep them picked up. Between my 7yo son and my 8yo and 6yo daughters they have 5 Bratz dolls, 1 Barbie car and 6 GI Joes. I also limit their TV so they get bored real easy now.
    If it's nice outside I tell them to go play outside or ride their bikes. For my oldest I tell her I'll get a book out for her to read but she never likes my choices. My other 2 can't really read yet (my son can read a little).
    They tend to entertain themselves once they are outside.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009