Step Daughter Drama!

My SD is almost 14. For the most part she has not really been a behavioral problem. I have been with her dad since she was 6. I have two DD's and they get along great, hear the but coming? Lately it has come to our attention that she has confessed to stealing things from the mall. My girls came to us with this info because they fear she will be caught and prosocuted. I no sooner learned this, we get a call from mom saying she had indeed been caught with a friend stealing from local consignment shop. She was grounded etc. Mom felt she was scared straight. She also confessed about the mall. Last night we get another call from mom. They had an argument in the car and SD became so enraged she kicked the windshield so hard it broke. Mom and her DH are fighting because he is pissed and she is not! My DH and I are very upset! We don't have her full time, what do we do as punishment? She can't come to us and have fun!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• cont, Mom is blowing this off and I am afraid if crap like this keeps up with no real consequences we are going to have serious trouble on our hands. It is going to destroy her mothers marriage to her husband as they fight over her behavior all the time. She is good when she is with us, but she turns into a totally bitch the minute her mom is in the room. If we cannot get her mom on boared, what do we do to keep this from turning into perhaps a trip to juvie for SD?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• At this age you need to talk NOT shout! Get her to talk to you to tell how she feels when she steals. She needs to learn to trust you, to come to you, that she can tell anything. That does not mean she will not get punished. Kids want adults to talk to, they want good advice.
    When she does something that needs a punishment, you ask her what it should be her punishment. Kids will punish them selfs.
    get her to open up to you- good luck
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• when i was around her age i was also stealing. the only way anything got through to me was when i got caught by the cops. my case was dismissed. that's the only way i straightened up.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 11:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• well if she has been grounded acouple of time for stealn=g then you need to show her how much trouble she could be in. you can talk to her all you want but your just going to turn blue and right now she is at the stage of knowing it all attadude so when you are in a store next time watch her then when she steal tell who ever is in the store and let her get a lil taste of the trouble and she won;'t enjoy it then act like you are just going to leave her there and walk away but don't really do that, my 15 yr old thought i was joking about it when she did it and i did this now she doesn't do it
    Anonymous

• I understand what you are going through but there is not much you do if you are not there when it happens so just worry about your own backyard.

That lady is crazy for not getting mad about her windshield what is her problem? If I were you don't even worry about it as long as she acts good with you guys that is the bm's problem...sorry but it is true. You want to help the girl but how can you you can try talking to a DA and go from there just ask questions.

What does the divorce decree say? Hang in there!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My 12 yr old did some shop lifting but what i need was i walked him back in the store ask for the manager showed him what my son stole and had my son speak to the manager on why he stole it and there were people watching him ttelling the story so really he got all blushed about it and never stole again cause he made a butt out of himself for stealing.
    semiwife

Answer by semiwife at 12:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009