what time does your kid get up during the summer?

my oldest son will sleep until noon or longer if i let him. i know it is summer but i think that that is a bit too much...what do you ladies think??

Momof3Squirts

Asked by Momof3Squirts at 12:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Biologically speaking, he may be at an age where that is a natural and needed schedule for him.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/how-much-sleep-do-children-need?page=5
    " 7-12 Years Old : 10 - 11 hours per day
    At these ages, with social, school, and family activities, bedtimes gradually become later and later, with most 12-years-olds going to bed at about 9 p.m. There is still a wide range of bedtimes, from 7:30 - 10 p.m., as well as total sleep times, from 9 - 12 hours, although the average is only 9 ½ hours
    12-18 Years Old : 8 ¼ - 9 ½ hours per day

Sleep needs remain just as vital to health and well-being for teenagers as when they were younger. It turns out that many teenagers over 15 actually need more sleep than in previous years. Now, however, social pressures conspire against getting the proper amount and quality of sleep.."
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I let my kids sleep in a half hour longer in the am and go to bed a half hour later at night...that way I don't have a huge fight on my hands getting them back on schedule when school starts again.
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 12:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Depends on how late they stayed up. Bedtime is 10pm max in the summer (they usually fall asleep before that). They have been getting up around 7am which is an hour later then normal. They get up way before I do even during the school year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my oldest would sleep all day if I let her. I wake her up by 11 am. My youngest two are weird. As soon as the sun rises they're up. Unless we have plans then I have to wake them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When I am not working, he sleeps until 10 or 11 and I am fine with that. He goes to bed anywhere from 9-11pm. Normally he is awake by 9, I think he is heading for a huge growth spurt and needs the sleep. When I am working, he is awake by 8am.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with sleeping in once in a while. Lord knows I do it. But I think keeping them on a schedule throughout the summer will really help when school picks up again. I'd pick a schedule you need for school (i.e. he needs to be asleep by this time to wake up at this time for school), then stay within 30 to 60 minutes from that time schedule. Of course, there are always exceptions (late night summer holiday BBQ or something).
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son is 15 and will sleep all day if I let him. I am sure he is up late at night way after we go to bed. We made a rule that if he is not up by 10 he looses stuff. Next month I will make it 9:30 and in Aug he will have to start getting up early to get ready for school schedule. I son has always been a sleeper would sleep 18 hrs a day if I let him. Just like his momma!
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 5:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Both of my kids (12 yo and 5 yo) like to get up at about 8 a.m. year round. Sometimes they will get up a little later if they were up late, but not usually.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Mine sleeps till noon, nice to have a break, sorry, he's a handfull. Made mine join baseball to get him off his butt, this summer.
    Anonymous

• http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/take_care/sleep.html#
    "During adolescence, the body's circadian rhythm (sort of like an internal biological clock) is reset, telling a teen to fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning. This change in the circadian rhythm seems to be due to the fact that the brain hormone melatonin is produced later at night in teens than it is for kids and adults, making it harder for teens to fall asleep. Sometimes this delay in the sleep–wake cycle is so severe that it affects a person's daily functioning. In those cases it's called delayed sleep phase syndrome."
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009