Besides child care - what can reasonably expected from a nanny?

My husband and I are trying to decide if a sitter or nanny would be best. He seems to think that if we have a nanny the house will be spotless, the laundry all done and dinner ready when we get home. I think he's out of his mind to expect all that. Who's right?

MomofAtoZ

Asked by MomofAtoZ at 12:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are. I think he has a housekeeper confused with a nanny. I would expect that the nanny would take care of my child. Make sure that dd's clothing was washed and cleaned, and that she had been fed.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think it's somewhere in between. I have a friend who works as a nanny and she takes care of the child's laundry, vacuums, and loads the dishwasher in addition to taking care of the child. A nanny's main focus has to be the children, but I think many are willing to do some other light housekeeping. I had a regular Saturday sitter who had previously worked as a nanny; she offered to do some light housekeeping and put dinner on for my family, but I never took her up on the offer since she was only there once a week.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I dont think you should expect much past child care. Maybe you could fine someone who is willing to do light cleaning during nap time or something.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• That's your choice. I have friends whose nannies take care of EVERYTHING. Cleaning, childcare, laundry, playdates, bedtime, naptime, all meals, food shopping, doctor visits, etc. (Most of those are live-in nannies.) And I have other friends whose nannies take care of only babysitting (which include feeding, changing, napping, etc) while the parents are working. You make the decision and you pay will the price tag that goes with it.

Christine
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Your husband doesn't understand that spotless and children don't go together. You could have a nanny and a housekeeper and while I'm sure the house would be clean. It would never be spotless! It just doesn't work that way.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 by: * CoolGirlChris That's your choice. I have friends whose nannies take care of EVERYTHING. Cleaning, childcare, laundry, playdates, bedtime, naptime, all meals, food shopping, doctor visits, etc. (Most of those are live-in nannies.)

Wow, that sounds like Mom replacement to me.

Anonymous

• It depends on the arrangement you make with the person you hire. I have been a nanny and that is it..I did clean as we made messes etc. Then I have been a nanny that did everything. I made WAY more money. I cleaned, cooked, did laundry, took kids to Dr.'s apt, did the shopping, I had a credit card and access to an account with money for whatever the kids, or the household needed. They paid me well, they paid for my cell phone, and I accompanied them on vacations too. I did everything but live there.
    Anonymous

• a nanny cleans up after herself but thats pretty much it. perhaps you should spring for a cheaper babysitter and a housekeeper? but no to expect a nanny to keep a spotless home AND cook AND take care of your child means one of those three tasks will be neglected and since its the easiest to get get away with it would most likely be taking care of your child. I was a nanny by the way and I actually got the kids to help me clean. It was a lot of fun and they learned responsibility
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I know someone who has 6 children ( all but 2 of them are school age now) and she's had a nanny since she only had 4 children. She doesn't have a job outside the home. Her nanny cooks cleans, runs errands, takes the kids to school, picks them up, takes them to their extra-curricular activities,takes care of the kids that are home during the day, while Mom goes to the gym and shops. That arrangement leaves me scratching my head in amazement and confusion as to why someone would have children in the first place for someone else to raise. I'd give my right arm to have someone come here for 2 hours a week just so I could have a little mommy time.

Anonymous

• Your husband is out of his tree. When we had a nanny, we had an incredibly wonderful and loving woman who took amazing care of our child; she would also fold and put away laundry, wash dishes and mop floors.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009