What is the hardest thing about being a parent?

Everything about being a mother is tough but so so worth it...to me the hardest thing is I worry now. Worry about her being happy and healthy and doing my best to be sure she is always taken care of in every way. It's like my heart is out of my body now and it's with her...

What do you think is the hardest thing about being a mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• worry is way up there. I just want to make sure that I raise a stable, confidant, and happy young woman. She is only 5, but I worry about her future all the time. I want her to be a giving and caring person, too. But I would say the worst is worrying about something happening to her or her getting really sick. When I hear about a sick child, a child dying, or being kidnapped my heart skips a beat.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Worry. My daughter has open heart sugery when she was just 5 months old weighing at just 7 pounds, That day of surgery was the most horrifying overwhelming day of my life. Iam happy to say shes doing wonderful now thank god, But i always worry of something like that happening again. I JUst want to make sure my daughters grow up healthy happy. Oh theres so many things thats happens when you become a mom! :-)
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The hardest thing for me, I think, has to be when they are sick. Mainly because no matter what you do, it doesn't change them being sick and they just have to "weather the storm". It drives me nuts because all I want to do is take away that feeling from them and make them feel better.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When they go through hormonal periods of not listening. That's rough. When they are messy and don't clean up. When they are really sick with fever or something. When they have a health issue pop up. When we have no yard for them to go out and play in b/c they get cooped up in the house and then parents never get a break like parents back in the day did (b/c we were allowed to go outside and play from dawn until dusk!
    Anonymous

• Worry will always be there even when they're grown. It's kind of a given. So much that I didn't even think of that when I just read the question. I felt kind of dumb for not thinking that first. The thing I though of first was the instant your first child is born everything changes. You are responsible for another human being, and although its not an unwelcome change, it is a big one and one that's hard to get used to.
    Anonymous

• My DD had to be in the hosp for 14 days once that is the hardest thing I think. We were waiting on test results for 10 or those days to see if she had viral menigitis! IV's in a newborn (she was 8 days old when this happened) r very hard to do so sometimes she would get poked over & over & over again making her whole arm/leg bruise right up. Having to decide on weather to do surgery or not which is the best choice. Keeping up on the meds the nurse is giving her & why. Having to watch them cry while having a spinal tap! All of these things was by far the hardest thing I have had to do yet with my DD & I wish it upon nobody.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i would have to say i worry about him growing up to be a good man and to raise him the best that i can. make sure hes healthy. and when my husband deploys or goes to training its gunna be hard on him.
    Anonymous

• My children are VERY HEALTHY, so I never worry about their health. The hardest thing for me right now, is dealing with a 4-year-old and a 17-month-old ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!!! I get BURNED OUT after a while!! THANKFULLY, my DH takes them over to his mom's house after he gets home from work a couple times a week, so I don't TOTALLY LOSE IT!!! If it wasn't for these 'breaks' my DH gives me, I would DEFINATELY be in a padded room at the local "NUTHOUSE!!" Don't get me wrong, I DO LOVE my children VERY, VERY MUCH--its just that being a SAHM, spending ALL DAY with my kids and having VERY LITTLE 'adult interaction,' gets to ya after a bit!!!
    Anonymous

• I would have to agree with the worring part. It's also hard for me to deal with change and needless to say having a newborn in the house was alot of change lol. He's 4 months now and I have come along with that but I still worry about everything!!
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• So far the hardest thing for me has been getting other people to let me be the darn parent. But I do worry as well. I'm still very new at being a mom, but the first several nights we were home I couldn't sleep because I couldn't see my child. He slept in a cradle in my room, but in the dark I couldn't see that he was alive and OK. I also couldn't hear him breathe. I kept turning the lamp on so I could look at him.
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009