Non-Christians : How would you feel if someone said they would keep you in their prayers?

The other day I was talking to a close friend, who isn't a Christian, on the phone and after she said a lot of things to me about her current situation I said, "I'll keep you in my prayers hun." For a second or so she didn't really respond and then said, "OK" and changed the subject. Normally I don't say things like that to friends I know aren't Christian, especially if I know they also have strong feelings against some aspects of Christianity. But that time it just popped out. So I was curious...

For those of you who aren't Christian, how would you feel if a Christian (friend and/or non-friend) said that they would keep you in their prayers? Keep in mind, it wasn't said to you in a negative way but in a way such as "I'll keep you in my thoughts."
??

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 7:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feel honored if someone who I'm close with chose to direct some positive energy my way!! I don't feel it matters what faith you are, but what your intentions are. To me, hoping and praying are on the same page with each other. Sometimes, I feel like people who may not be 100% about their chosen religious path, or who have had it bashed so much, can be taken aback more than necessary. But, I find it to be acceptable!
    tashamae921

Answer by tashamae921 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well that doesnt really bother me when people say that. it means they care enough to keep me in their heart!
    Anonymous

• I personally don't care. I know a lot of those who do. But I don't think it's a big deal. I think their heart is in the right place.
    Anonymous

• it's annoying for me at this point.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 7:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I am Christian, but it doesn't bother me if the Wiccans I know offer to light a candle for me. And they have said that they appreciate it if I say a prayer for them. I think it is just a matter of caring in your own way.
    TwinmomPlus

Answer by TwinmomPlus at 7:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Personally, I view prayers as a type of magic. There is intent and as such can be made real. So, if the person is telling me that they will keep me in their prayers for a good reason, like being ill or having a rough time, then I have no problem with it. If they are "praying for my soul" then I get testy, because, like I said, I believe prayer is a lot like magic (as I see it) and I don't want that sort of intent out there. I hope this answered your question. I think is shows what a good person you are that you would ask this question.
    alcinoe

Answer by alcinoe at 7:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• "If they are praying for my soul"

To make it clear to anyone who may read this : I definitely didn't mean those kinds of prayers which is what I tried to be clear about in the question (^_^). I think that telling someone that you're praying for their soul is just kind of rude. I don't think there is wrong with praying for someone's soul (or for them to find God), but to actually tell someone that you're praying for their soul when they aren't a Christian just seems in poor taste.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I'm not religious, but when someone says something like that to me, I just say "thank you". When I'm going through a hard time, their prayers are another way for them to support me, even if it isn't what I believe.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It doesn't bother me when it's something like that, but if it's just to piss me off (like because I'm gay, or because I don't go to church) then I'll tell them to shove it.
    phazed.0ut

Answer by phazed.0ut at 8:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Depends on how it's said. Sometimes it's said snidely, mostly in regards to my atheism and "eternal soul". Then it gets an eye roll and whatever. If it's genuine from a friend or family member I take it as "I'm keeping you in my thoughts during this difficult time"
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2008