• In the Spotlight:

how can i get my son to stop being mouthy and talking back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Consequences and punishment. If he is "rewarded" with attention or NO punishment, he will continue to be mouthy. But if he realizes there is a punishment and it's one he doesn't like he will stop. Therefore, not only do you have to punish him for the behavior, it has to be uncomfortable enough for him to not want to repeat the behavior. If you don't respond at all, it's showing him that it's ok for him to talk that way to, not only you, but every authority figure.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have found that my son tends to act out more after spending time with certain people. Maybe see if there is a common denominator in your sons situation. I am able to limit his time with these "friends." Good luck...hope you can curb the behavior now....it'll only get worse!
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 1:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Calmly give him one warning... "We don't use language like that". If he repeats it, punish him. Again, calmly. If you get upset with him, he "wins". Attention is attention to a child. It doesn't matter if it's praise or screaming. If he can make you react, he wins.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• a bar of soap always worked when I was young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I believe a good old fashion whoopin will take care of that, it did 4 my dd. But everyone is different gl I hope ur able 2 resolve this issue
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009