Should he get his diploma?

I looked real quick and didn't see it so if this has been asked already - sorry...

What do you ladies think about this student in Maine blowing a kiss to his mom/family during his graduation ceremony then being denied his diploma because he "disrupted" the service with his "showboating"...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31405284/ns/us_news-education?gt1=43001

I feel this school superintendent was feeling her wheaties that day and just a little full of herself...what do you think?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they are a bunch of idiots. He earned that diploma and he should get it. It was a kiss blown to his family for crying out loud.

Anonymous

• I think that's terrible and I wonder if that's even allowed. I say that because if he has the credits to graduate, they can't tell him no. It's not like he committed a crime or violated a school rule. For crying out loud, he blew a kiss to his MOTHER! Since when is THAT a problem?! UGH! I agree, she is on a power trip apparently.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• He earned it and should get it. It's not like he mooned the crowd or something vulgur. Funny how a small amount of power can go to one's head.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The superintendent ruined the only high school graduation this young man will ever have. Now it probably won't ruin his life, but it's one of the petty cruelties that people who have little, cruel minds like to practice.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It's wrong, plain and simple. I won't be surprised if she ends up losing her job. What next, a kid trips going on stage, and hes showboating?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• its awful. he is a good student, not any trouble. the article i read said he didnt even participate in the beach balls that were being thrown around (which the security guards took & made the students playing w/ them leave w/o graduating). i HATE when school leaders are so stuck-up that they forget that graduation is a CELEBRATION...not a funeral or church service.

he was told he wasnt going to graduate at all, but the school board has issued him a diploma. his mom is still holding out for an apology from the intendant b/c she ruined the day for the boy & his family. the mom also wants her son to get to walk across the stage so she can take pictures.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I can see them maybe penalizing him that day if he'd been warned in advance not to do 'anything'; like not let him actually walk or whatever; it would suck but if he'd been warned.... -- but as pp said he earned those credits; they can't deny he completed his education! And besides IDK about nationwide; but we only got a display holder on Graduation Day; they were still calculating our final tests and such and our Diplomas were mailed to us a few weeks later...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Of course he should still get his diploma. I have been to many graduation ceremonies including few cermonies specifically dedicated to Masters Degrees and Phds and people in the crowd still hoot and holler, it's ridiculous.
    No one is trying to keep anyone from showing their happiness or pride they just want the ceremony to go smoothly and quickly.
    I think that kid is stupid for breaking the rules but I don't think he should have a degree he worked hard for taken away for doing something small like that.
    Anonymous

• Dumb Yankees
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think this is ridiculous. Its not like he ran across the stage naked or flipped off the audience. He blew his mom a kiss....gimme a break. Someone's on a power trip.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009