Offended?

What is it with religious people (some, not all) being "offended" at EVERYTHING that doesn't have to do with their religion? I can see being offended if someone directly insults you or your religion....but why are so many offended just by SEEING something that doesn't fit with their beliefs? Someone in another post was offended because she saw "witchcraft" on a kid's TV show. I remember a couple years ago I read about an airport having to take down all their Christmas trees because some Jewish people were offended. How can you be offended by simply SEEING something that's not directed at you in any way????

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i get more offended when ppl of my faith piss & moan about another faith being shown, than the faith actually being shown (does that make sense?). what i dont get is why every time something not Christian is shown its "them" trying to brainwash our kids into it being okay, but when if the shows pushing Christian stuff (like Christmas) then its okay. either everything is okay, or nothing is okay.

some ppl have such a huge chip on their shoulder, they need something to be mad at. like being offended by other ppl's beliefs makes theirs more valid.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree, if you don't like it don't look. That's my personal opinion. I think that too many people are too critical and not enough are open minded to the fact that there are DIFFERENT people in this world with DIFFERENT beliefs. We don't have to like, or agree with it, but...............as a Christian (personally) I accept it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i think its more that these religions would like everyone to be that religion and by taking certain things away from the others, it just brings them one step closer to their goal. now im not very religious, but i am a jw. and i dont like that everything now is sex oriented, however, i dont complain and piss and moan. i change the channel or pay it no mind. its not worth the effort.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I never got that either. I may not agree with certain things or the way things are done but Im not going to have a fit over it either.
    I can just ignore it or giggle to myself, shake my head and move on. I just dont find making a scene or having a fit about it worthwhile.
    To each their own.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree. I think people get offended WAY too easily anymore. You know, we can choose to not be offended by something. Now, like you said, if it's against me personally, or my family, that's one thing. But if it's something on tv, I can choose not to watch it. But, honestly, I don't get offended really easily anyway.
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Because if you do it to one you can do it to all, say for example the government starts destroying the muslim bible , what other bilbe will be next? If they start lining up buddihist and shooting them how long will it take for them to start lining up christians? Drastic I know but the point is just because I do not agree with the religion or beliefs, they still have the right to practice it and should have the freedom. Yes I presonally believe my faith is the way to go, but I am not the judge of what every one else believes. That is for God to judge and God alone.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be "offended" in the sense you are thinking. I would just not let my kid watch that show. I don't want my children to get "into" the wizard, witch, sorcery, spells type stuff because it is against our religion.

However, I can see that some parents practice those beliefs and maybe they would like their children to have some fun shows that agree with their worldviews.

We have the VeggieTales on a local TV station on Saturday mornings here. It is a major network channel 4. Non Christians were offended and tried to pull the show. But the network has kept it on. And it blesses me so much to see them on TV. People who don't want their kids watching veggietales can change the channel.

I think it is up to the parents, but we should give everyone the freedom to watch or celebrate in ways that align with their own beliefs, anything else borders on censorship. We are not communist.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree with you! Its because people are naturally selfish and don't quite get it when its not all about them. It doesn't bother me when I see a menorah or a pentacle in public, but if you can't have a christmas tree, you can't have anything, so you rarely see those things.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• OH, what offended me was one time when we had just gotten cable I found the "kids" channels (you know, Disney, Disney XD, Nick 1, Nick 2, Noggin, Nick Jr, Sprout). Well they were all grouped together. Some are more for older kids but still it is like 7 kids channels in a row. Well I didn't know much about the scheduling. And we were watching some normal kids show and I was folding laundry and I went to put the laundry in the drawers and I came back and there were young teens engaging in some very sexual type things. I was disgusted.

I guess at some point during the day one of the channels turns into "The N" and then this Degrassi show comes on. I haven't seen it since, but a lot of parents around here have had the same experience with that channel and show.

It is our fault as parents for trusting a network, but I was offended because the content was lewd and it slipped in on a kids network.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thing is, it's not even religious. There is nothing religious about Casper or Scooby Doo. It's fantasy - just like a Christmas Carol. How come nobody ever protests that? Guy gets visited by 3 ghosts and finds the meaning of Christmas - and aside from a little line at the end about "god bless us everyone" there isn't a hint of Jesus in the whole thing, but THAT ghost story is fine and dandy. It's a bunch of hypocrites.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009