Potty training advice- 3 yr 3mos old boy

I have been trying to potty train my 3yr old the problem I am having is that he tends to do very well at preschool, however when he is at home he tends to get very distracted and wets himself. I don't know what to do. I try to watch him and pick up on when he wants to go but if I put him on the potty he thows a tantrum, and then wets himself. I'll even threaten to put diapers back on him, but he does not care and will let me put a diaper on him. any advice??

amys2boys

Asked by amys2boys at 1:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have tried the cool when wet pull ups, again he still does not care. Also first thing in the morning he will wake up dry but will not go into the bathroom and tells me he does not have to go. But then 5 minutes later he's wet & it does not matter what I put him in underwear or pull ups he'll just wet them. I'm soo frustrated!!
    amys2boys

Answer by amys2boys at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• stay away from pull ups for a successful mission! :) Do NOT give up! It doesn't happen overnight. Whatever you do make sure that if you are stopping him to go potty that you go back and do the EXACT same thing, OR before you do something fun make him go potty- my son has a favorite cartoon, a fav story even fav snacks I have used- I would say- oh we can't put that show on until you go potty- then he gets his sticker or candy reward and then we do the fun activity- kids don't want to stop in the middle of something to go- they don't want to miss out on stuff. So try to have acitivites or things planned around potty time- you won't have to do this forever- we had to do it for about 2 weeks before our son came to us or just went by himself in the middle of fun things...
    Anonymous

• First of all....be patient if you can.....BELIEVE me I know how hard that is. Maybe try setting a timer and having your son go every hour or two when he is at home. If he complains tell him when he goes potty in the potty he won't have to sit there so often. I know that will require a lot of work on your part but just something to try. Good Luck. My son was not completely potty trained until he was almost 4! Hang in there.
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 1:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Bribery! That is the only thing getting us anywhere with our 2 1/2 year old! He gets all excited when he gets to wear his favorite undies because he stayed dry! Or when he gets a treat for going in the potty. Also, it makes for a lot of laundry, but pull-up's are NOT helpful! He thinks they are just like diapers. So we change a lot of wet pants and undies, but he's getting the hang of it. We DO have to remind him to go potty though. He never really remembers on his own til it's a little too late!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• personally I am not a pusher of potty training. I let my kid in diapers until he was ready and told me he didn't want them and wanted the potty. He was about 3 years 4 months. Who cares!!!! If he isn't in preschool anymore and isn't forced to do it than oh well. It he is wetting himself than put a diaper on him. He isn't going to graduate highschool in a diaper. When he is good and ready he will tell you. Just my 2 cents. Oh yeah, once my son told me, not one accident not even at bedtime. Waiting pays off... Atleast for me it did
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009