Is there a better word for boobs in child talk?

My 2 yrs old showed my boobs and asked me what is there inside mommy? what is it called? and next question... where is mine?
We are very conservative and dont want our kids using the term boobs in front of our family/friends. Is there a better word for that...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Baby's still little mommy. Just call them chest and they're private and we don't show them in the open or talk about them. Our bottoms are private, peeing is private, body parts are private. But say remember always to tell mommy if you hurt or if someone ever touches you there for any reason.
    Anonymous

• um.... breasts?
    Anonymous

• Our family uses proper terminology. There's no reason to call them anything other than what they are - breasts. When you child asks "Where's mine?" Not sure if you have a boy or a girl. When my DD asked, I told her grown-ups ladies had breasts, not little girls. When she grew up, she'd have them as well. When DS asked, we told him it was only something grow-up ladies have.

We also discuss how anything covered by a bathing suit is a private body part and not something we should show or discuss in public settings. If they have questions about those parts or discomfort in those areas, they could talk to us, their grandparents or their doctor - but in a private setting, not, say, in the middle of Applebees at the top of their lungs. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I believe in calling parts..what they really are..So call them breasts. And the wheres mine question your kid asked. If the child is a girl just say when you get older you will get some..A boy..Yours will always be flat like your daddies.

Answer by louise2 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We call them breasts. My 2 year-old (who is used to me nursing my 9 month-old) saw a baby with his mom and announced, "She feeds him with her breasts." While this was mildly embarrassing, it was nothing compared to what it would have been if she had said "boobs" or some other cutesy term. I'd go with breasts.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Breasts. A part is a part. And your child will talk about them at inappropriate times no matter what you call them. At least the official name doesn't sound dirty, smutty, or degrading.

And yes, now that your child has noticed them, be prepared the next time you encounter a mom who is breastfeeding... your child may very well shout "Mommy, Look! That baby is chewing on that lady's breast!" That's just what little kids do. When it happens (or any of the other thousand and one embarassing things kids shout) just deal with it calmy. Don't "shhh" him. Don't yank him aside for a talk. Just calmly say "Yes. Breasts make milk and the baby is drinking his lunch. Some babies drink out of bottles. Some drink out of their mommy's breasts."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Breasts - I believe in calling body parts what they are.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Breasts, they are a body part and that's what the name for them is!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I always called them to my son "Breasts" and even today that is what he still calls them
    EJAPfreesouls

Answer by EJAPfreesouls at 4:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my dd calls them boobies, idc i'm not trying to keep ppl from being offended by what my child calls breasts
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009