what to do about my milk?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I have had colostrum leaking from my breasts since I was 4 weeks pregnant....in fact that was how I figured out I was pregnant because I got colostrum before a positive pregnancy test. However now my breasts are starting to get really full and engorged ever since I had a clogged milk duct and the OB told me to put heating pads on it I have my milk in full and it is pretty uncomfortable. I am afraid to pump them when they get engorged because I heard it can make you go into preterm labor, what should I do? I hope my baby boy is hungry when he gets here!! But october is a long way off lol

LOVE2bMOMMY525

Asked by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Heating pads, ice packs, honestly pumping WOULD help, I had colostrom early, my breast got really full so I pumped, my son was born 2 weeks before his due date... But they even say sex can bring on labor. If it's really uncomfortable buy a hand pump, see about donating it to a breast milk bank (unless you're comfortable with the idea) that way it doesn't go down the drain!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would talk to your provider about using a pump, it is true that nipple stimulations can cause contractions, and you don't want that at 24 weeks gestation. Continue to use warm compresses. You can also use cabbage leaves to ease engorgement, but I would talk to an LC before doing this if you are planning to breastfeed because it can totally dry you up.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i am having the same problem and am due in oct too.. what day are u due?? i go to the docs next week so i amgonna ask when i go if its oky to pump..
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009