Do you think it's ok to hit your kid when you're frustrated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• For me I don't think it is ever okay to hit your child. We don't use spanking or hitting as punishment for our son. And he is doing great.

And, just in my opinion I personally think it is especially wrong to hit your child just because you may be frustrated. There are many other outlets for your frustration. However, that is, just my opinion.

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 1:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No but it happens and we're all human.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• no i dont think its ok .they should get spanked if they do something wrong not if the parent is frustrated just to hit them.
    Anonymous

• Well why do parents who spank spank? Because their children are doing something wrong and not listening. What feeling do we feel when this happens? Frustration. As long as your doing it to discipline and not ABUSING the child- leaving a mark, or as long as you don't go around spanking your child all day long everytime he does something wrong- I don't have a problem with it.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• **I have to clarify. If the child does something that they were told to stop doing and annoys the parent, and the parent hits....that's the frustration I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about a frustrated parent just walking up to their kid to hit them for no apparent reason.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, it's not. It's also not okay for a man to hit his girlfriend/wife if he's frustrated, or for a 4 yo to hit her brother if she's frustrated.

It's human, and it's understandable - especially since people who want to smack when angry had parents who smacked them when they were angry, and that's what they learned. I know that overcoming that urge to swat my child for whatever isn't always easy. All we can do is be aware of our emotions and show our children 1) different - positive - ways to handle anger and 2) how to genuinely apologize and own our own behavior when we don't handle our anger well
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, it's not okay and I can't imagine anyone thinking it was okay to do that but I agree with the first poster that it does sometimes happen and we are all human--it's still not an excuse!
    Anonymous

• No. I'm not big on hitting, but I have a kind of middle-of-the-road opinion. To me (no big discussion on this, it's jmo, and I'm not a very PC person) spanking CAN work if done correctly and at appropriate times. In order to use it as discipline, it can NEVER be done out of frustration.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 1:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• NO. When you are frustrated sometimes it escalates and then it can become serious for the child getting hit. Do you want your SO to hit you just because he is "frustrated"? Count to 10 and walk away or hit a pillow. We are hear to protect our children not beat them.
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, I don't ever think it's ok to hit your kid.

But I especially think you should not hit when you are frustrated, angry, or upset.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 1:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009