Pumping question(s)

I've started to pump and so far have just been pumping once in the morning after I feed my daughter because I seem to have plenty of milk at that time of day...I'm wondering if I wanted to pump at another time and my daughter wanted to eat shortly after I pumped would I have enough milk to feed her? How long does it take for my supply to replenish itself? Or do I have a never-ending supply?? Also - my daughter is almost 4 weeks old...how much do you think she'd need from the bottle for a feeding? is 3-4 oz enough? That seems to be what I get when I pump...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be careful if you are going back to work and have to thats one thing. I didn't and I started pumping to store and it got to the point where the milk was coming out too fast for the baby. I ended up not pumping and just feeding from the breast b/c also they start not taking the breast if you feed to many bottles. But you only supply what you need so if you pump after she eats would be the best way to store it. At first you wont get a lot but later you will baby crying gotta go
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• okay so if if you pump after your daughter eats you will not get as much. After a while you will. Breastfeeding works simply on supply and demand. The more you pump and or feed the more milk you will make. It should only take 3-4 days to build up your supply, 4 oz is enough. You will start making more when she wants more. Just be careful with all the pumping. Once you tell your body you need x amount of milk at x time its always gonna be there and you will be full so make sure you can commit that time to pump each day. Good luck

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Yes, your baby will always be able to get milk out of your breast, whether or not you just pumped. She may have to suck a little longer before it comes, but it will be there. 3-4 oz should be more than enough at her age.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009