Wondering if any moms have went on road trips (6 or more hrs) with a five month old and how you kept your child entertained?

I went on a trip to Tuscon, AZ which is a little less than 2 hrs from my house and she started getting anxious an hour and a half into the trip.

MommaMallory

Asked by MommaMallory at 1:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Travel

• Ear plugs are essential. No matter how hard you try, she may very well end up screaming. Your job is to get both of you there safely... and you can't do that with fried nerves from high pitched screams. Remember though - headphones are not earplugs and it is illegal to drive with headphones on.

What can you try to keep her happy?
    Do you have those handhold straps above each rear seat door? Tie a string between them. Then get a small collection of soft toys that can be hooked to that string with those plastic chain links they make for babies. Hook them to the string you tied in the car. She can play with the toys but they won't end up thrown on the floor.
    Get a collection of music that YOU like that isn't hard-rockin type music. Play it and sing to it. Your little one will enjoy hearing your voice and really doesn't care if it's adult music or kiddie music at this age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my little one slept for most of our last road trip, it was 7.5 hours, but i brought toys and snacks that she could play with and eat on the way and a cooler with lots of water and juice lol.
    Anonymous

• I've gone with babies from ny state to ma to nj back to ma back to ny all in four days over the years. You just have to take stops when baby lets you know it's time. Not after she's allwound up but asap as she's winding up. Do you have a car with a dvd machine? Or try wireless earplugs with nice music on her ears. Put new toys in her hand every half hour or so to keep her eyes seeing something different often.
    Anonymous

• maybe skip a nap so they could sleep in the car.. and when they wake up, stop for a bit to feed, change diapers, etc just to kind of give the baby some attention. then start on the trip again.. with lots of toys! toys that sing... shake.. rattle.. bounce.. and give it to him every time he cries.. and stop when needed. babies just dont have the patience for 6 hour drives. which is why mommy needs the extra patience to know the 6 hour drive might take longer w/ all the stops you might have to make
    Anonymous

• i would bring toys for my little boy. hes actually pretty good in the car he'll just sit there quietly usually. but he likes to listen to music so he would sit there n dance to it. lol. bring some snacks and some drinks and try to give ur baby sum when they get anxious.
    Anonymous

• Mine was 4 months old when we drove for 9 hours. I had a bottle owrmer and toys for him. I sat beside him and talked to him. We stopped when he became fussy. I would walk him around and bounce and sing and change him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• we drove with my 5 month old from chicago to nevada. we took breaks when he got upset. and lots of toys. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009