How can I get my website promoted?

Does anyone know how I can get my website promoted? I link to tons of websites, and that doesn't work. I was inspired by cafemoms to build a website and put a store on it, so I did, but so far can't get traffic to it. They say link to others, which I have and still no viewers. What am I doing wrong. I don't understand and I am frustrated. Please if you have any great suggestions that I may not have tried, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Bren539

Asked by Bren539 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do some niche marketing for the content of your website. What is meant by niche marketing is to find people within the same interest and follow their patterns. This will help direct your links toward sites of interest that most closely match your site. Also, instead of listing as just a one-liner link, try to submit a colorful logo of your business to catch a user's attention.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Are you doing any SEO (search engine optimization)? If not, you can hire someone to do this, or learn (plenty of online sources) to do this yourself. SEO can actually be a great, marketable skill.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• What is your URL?
    Honestly we can't help you if we don't see the site. I know if you post a link in the original post CM would just delete the entire thing, but now that I'm asking for a link to your site, they SHOULD leave it alone. It's not just SEO, that's great, but if no one is searching for what you're selling it doesn't much matter how you optimize.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Have you tried other social media's like facebook, twitter, etc. you can update your status on these site and add a link to your website. One of the keys would be to update your status 6+ time per day, use catching lines to peak someones interest. Also have you tried adding a link in your signature here on CafeMom?
    SandiAZ480

Answer by SandiAZ480 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I went to your profile and I'm going to assume you are talking about link a thought.
    First, very good domain for what you are trying to do, but not something people will google often. Also, your site is a little all over the place and to post something they have to email it to you which doesn't work well for you or them.

Let me make a few suggestions. The idea is good, but I think you need to make it more of a blog first the allow people to comment and write posts. You can approve posts first, but this way they are not email them to you.

I'd suggest you use WordPress (it's free) it will allow you to blog, then allow others to comment which will lead to links to their sites and you can do the same on their site leading back to your site. The WordPress templates or themes are free - there are 1000's upon 1000's of them, or you can have something custom made. I'll write more below.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Your site needs a main focus that you can expand on. I'm going to use my site as an example. http://www.StuckAtHomeMom.com use to be 4 sites, I combined them all this month because they all expanded into one focus point, "Helping YOU, the mom!" I had one site for drop shippers, one for Free toys, clothing, software and other REAL items. Another site for legitimate work at home jobs and another for templates and websites - free and for sale. I have one large site now, with more content and focus around several topics, but they all relate somehow.

I want you to first look at my site to get an example of a non niche, but focused site. Then I want you to look at http://www.digiscrap101.com/ That is a scapbooking niche site, with, free downloads, a forum and a place for others to blog about their scapbooking - and their links lead back to their scrapbooking sites. I hope some of this make sense.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I didn't even take the time to spell check that last post....... we'll hope for the best there. LOL
    Anyway, you need a little more focus, but I think you really need a whole new site setup before you can get started down the path you want to go.
    Again, it's a great idea and your domain is great for what you are doing, but you need to make it easier for people to comment and add content.
    Good luck,
    ~e
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you go to www.PKDMerchandise.com and click on the Pajama Professor you can watch free videos on marketing your site. Check it out it's free it can't hurt.
    PupsKitty

Answer by PupsKitty at 3:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009