Why is preschool so stressful?

I waited and waited for my local school to tell me if we were "in" or not but in the end we were wait listed (they made it tuition based due to budget cost. I have been looking around just because what if they never call me my DD has 5 kids in front of her on the list. I found another preschool I am absolutely in love with it's a Quaker school (I'm not a Quaker but this place has everything from English to science labs for preschoolers. It is REALLY awesome.) I just found out today she's been accepted there but the tuition is 12,000 a year. Now I have to pray I can get financial aid. *sigh* Who knew there would be so much stress from preschool?

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 2:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow. Preschool is free here.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• wow really a science lab sounds well worth the 12 g's lolgood luck hope ur financal aid comes through
    Anonymous

• What are they going to do, examine their boogers under a microscope? Preschool isn't stressful - you are making it so.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• $12,000 for PRESCHOOL?! That's crazy. My son learned how to read, did science experiments, played at the park, learned some grammar (parts of speech), and all kinds of things for FREE at home instead some nutso expensive preschool.

That's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on PRESCHOOL.
    Anonymous

• I agree your making this more then it is. Cmon on now, they are learning their ABC's and how to count. Why would you get a loan for preschool when you can teach your child these things yourself. Take the time to read to them and save the money for when you have to pay for college.
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid I agree with the others... preschool is not the "make or break" of her educational years. And the more stressed you feel over it, the more she will feel - and that can damage her love of school and learning before she even officially starts school!

If a child goes to preschool at all, it's to learn social skills - how to interact with a teacher, how to follow classroom rules, how to work and play with other children, how to participate in group games and activities. ABC's and 123's are easy enough to teach in just 15 minutes a day at home.

Save your money. Make sure your daughter is going to a place SHE likes, where SHE will have fun. Put all that money in a piggy bank and use it in the coming years for extra lessons like piano, dance, gymnastics, karate, soccer... all the fun things that kids can learn that actually do help with long term sucess.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• And I'm whining over $300/month!
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 3:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm with saving the money. Actually, my daughter went backwards scholastically when she graduated from preschool this year. I truly believe I can teach her better, but the social skills....well, they need to be around other kids for that. I picked a very reasonable school that fit my belief system and had a really great teacher that I was comfortable leaving my child with. I got away with $125/month and she had so much fun this year. I feel very lucky and will send my son there too. You are putting too much pressure on yourself, just relax and find a good group with a loving teacher.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have taught my dd but unfortunately around here to get inot a preschool you pay an arm and a leg. I never said I was getting a loan I said I was getting financial aid that meant in the form of a grant I would be completely insane to take a loan out for preschool. I'm willing to pay a little more because my 3yr old already reads at a first grade level. As for the stress part it was sarcasum she will either get into one or not she will still be more advanced than the average three year old. Also, for fear of sounding like a b word I didn't ask for advice on my parenting skills my DD can spell, read, do math, count, and everything else but if I can find a way to send her to the finest schools who are you all to judge me for that.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 7:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Oh, calm down. 12K is a lot of money for preschool. It is a waste of money unless you plan on shelling out that much forever, because if your child is as advanced as you claim, she's going to be in private school forever. And I imagine it's more expensive than preschool.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009