Did you know that More Women are Having Children Outside Of Wedlock?

Researchers from the National Center for Health Statistics have analysed birth certificates nationally and yesterday released a report on their findings.

Around 1.7 million babies in 2007 were born to an unmarried women, more than double the number in 1980.

Should we say that being a single mother has its advantages....since the number of single mothers is increasing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So, 50% of all marriages are for "stupid reasons" and that's why the divorce rate is so high...

You don't think it has anything to do with the drastic change in our lifestyles compared to 50 years ago? It used to be normal for a family to afford to have one parent working, perhaps 9-5, then coming home to his family, where they ate together, talked about their day, and maybe threw a ball around with the kids.

Now, most families have to have two working parents, who spend way more than 40 hours a week working. They commute long distances and get home late, get take out for dinner, and spend their free time on the internet or in front of the tv while the kids play video games, instead of having time as a family. How exactly does that hold a good marriage/family together? It doesn't matter WHY anyone got together if they don't have the time/priority/ability to stay connected to each other.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It certinly does. I am a single mom and I have to feed me and my DD I have to take care of me and my DD I have to clean up after me and my DD not another person. I am good friends with DDs dad and when he is having a bad day all I have to do is say ok call me later. When he is sick and acting like a 2 year old I simply do not have to do anything. It is very much easier to be a single mom because you only have to take care of one baby lol.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• just because they arent married dont mean that they are single moms, there boy friends or life partners might be right there with them, alot of women dont want to get married these days...
    Anonymous

• There is no proof that they all are single parents. Many people live together without marrining each other.

Anonymous

• I think it just shows that women are getting smarter and realizing that they don't always have to have a man to raise a baby. Kind of the femanist movement.........LOL! Just like women holding more authortative roles in the business place. We are taking a stand. It doesn't make you less of a mother if you're single.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wow. I think the above posts are pretty sad. How awful that people have that attitude about men. And how sad that women are willing to raise kids without a man.
    Anonymous

• It is the new phase, I would not even have know about it, if not for CM..

Don't you know that they like to play house first then maybe, just maybe the will make
    a commitment to someone..

Oh and by the way CHILDREN need BOTH parents...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• most of the "single moms" i know technically are not single moms, they live with their boyfriends or fiance's and just haven't gotten married yet, either b/c they don't want to, or b/c they have a difference of opinion on what to do for the wedding.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thats cause they can't find a decent man.......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm not a fucking single mother. I live with my fiance and our daughter. Someone please tell me how that is being a single mother.

And steph, do not EVEN try and say that my fiance is not a decent man. Do you know me? Do you know him? No. Thank you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009