how is a mamogram done?

i went to the dr today and they found a lump in my breast. breast cancer runs in my family so they decided that they want me to go for a mamogram. im scared! how is a mamogram done? is it painful? :'(

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It can be painful and very uncomfortable...but something you must do...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I just googled it and it said that is isn't supposed to painful but is uncomfortable. I would google diagnostic mammogram and research :)f
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It's uncomfortable, it doesn't take long. the tech does all the manipulating of your breast to place it on the machine, you just stand there. I've been having them for 17 yrs, my sister had breast cancer at age 28 - 19 yr survivor.
    Best of luck to you.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Mine didn't hurt at all. I suppose it depends on the technician, but mine wasn't even uncomfortable. It took less than 5 minutes each breast and I was done. The machine presses each breast one at a time and x-rays it. Went on my lunch. A few other friends who are a bit larger than me said he was a little uncomfortable but not at all painful. Don't be afraid, it's fairly quick and almost painless. If your breasts are tender from menstruating, then wait until they are no longer tender. That may cause some significant discomfort.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I do not think the technician has anything to do with it hurting or not..

Try not to go before you get your period....if your boobs get sore before you period.

I think everyone is different...Pain tolerance and so on..
    I am a 36DD and every time I went, It hurt....
    I also have very dense breasts....::))
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009