• In the Spotlight:

Why is MSG in everything?

I try to not buy too much with MSG, but I heard they have changed the name so it can be on label as a few different things. Do you try to avoid it? It is in a ton of stuff!!! Anyone else concerned about it?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it makes anything taste better, you can buy it by the bottle in the asian isle. just keep reading labels. i didn't hear about the change in name, i thought they just used the un abbreviated version
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• MSG, Monosodium Glutamate, the seasoning brand called Accent. They make anything taste good and they are addictive.
    Anonymous

• They probably used it at one time without knowing the bad effects of it. Kinda like when they invented cigarettes before knowing that it could kill you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It makes me sick, it is so unhealthy, but it is allowed to be put in everything. I had a recipe that called for a dry pkg of brown gravy...but it had MSG so I just changed the recipe. I can't believe how much we have probably put in our bodies because it is in so many pkged foods. Its nearly imposisble to avoid and the FDA isn't protecting us. It is like nicotine for food..making us crave more. Studies show MSG leads to obesity because it encourages you to eat more of the food!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It is a preservative and flavor enhancer. It isn't that "unhealthy". Consumer Digest did a study. They put MSG on some food and a "placebo" on other food and fed it to people made up entirely of people claiming to get head aches or upset stomach. The results were that there were more reports from the placebo than the actual MSG. I think that at least some of the time it is more psychosymatic. My SIL claims to be sensative to MSG and won't eat things she didn't read the ingredients before you cook and then eats chips and crap that has it in it with no difficulty. Weird!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Jesse,

I have seen that study, and the "placebo" was aspartame, which is actually related to MSG...scary, right?
    Alissa210

Answer by Alissa210 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010