Weaning from breastfeeding to bottle is hard. Any suggestions?

My daughter is a little over 6 months old and has been breastfed all her life. I am about 15 weeks pregnant and am trying to wean her to a bottle and am having no luck. She just refuses to take a bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this transition easier on me and her? I need a break before I deliver my next child.

BLS092207

Asked by BLS092207 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep breastfeeding shes on solids now or will be soon and she wiill nurse less. Your milk will dry up before the baby's born anyways. So honeslty I'd keep bfing until then.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• give her to someone else and let them give her the bottle. you have to leave the room so she can't see, hear or smell you. i babysat a eff. breastfed baby, and weaned him on the bottle easy. his mom was going back to school, so he had no choice but to eat from the bottle, cuz there was no boob for him. at first he kept refusing it, but after a few hours he got hungry enough to take it. don't worry, they won't starve themselves. it's natural instinct to eat whatever they can when hungry enough.
    Anonymous

• Her milk won't dry up! She can keep feeding her first one the whole time and then tandem feed once the other one is here. I say just keep going and try occasionally, she might wean herself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• your milk won't dry up before the baby is born if you keep efficiently breastfeeding. and at 6 months they're not ready for solids yet, mainly just cereal. sometimes it doesn't matter how much cereal they've had, they still want to eat BM or formula. but yeah have someone else feed her the bottle
    Anonymous

• I recommend the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" before making any decisions. It has a lot of good information on nursing while pregnant. There were a couple of weeks in the 3rd trimester where I thought I had dried up, but then I started producing colostrum again.

Though sometimes it was difficult to nurse while pregnant, it was actually very helpful to still be nursing my first as it allowed me to have the down time I needed without my older child climbing the walls (not kidding about the climbing--he was 2 when my 2nd was born).

I have to disagree with the pp on cereal. Cereal is not necessary and has little nutritional value. I started solids later at 8months and just fed them fruits and veggies soft and small enough for them to eat. Kellymom.com has some good information on solids.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you are anything like me, I couldn't breastfeed while pregnant. It was horribly painful and I would cry the whole time. The best way is to give her to someone else until she gets the concept.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 3:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you are still feeding her breastmilk from the bottle than it might be useful to try using different bottles an nipples until you find one that she likes , she might not like the one you are using an you will find this will solve your problem. however if you are switching from breastmilk to formula than try mixing the formula as directed an adding breastmilk to the formula also try different formulas. My daughter is breastfed but i work full time so i had to start bottle feeding at 7 wks. I was having difficulty pumping enough milk for daycare so i started mixing a small amount of formula with the breastmilk an i use the wide nipple ventaire bottle an she does very well with it. I also use Similac Organic formula i started with Similac advanced immunity support formula an she has done very well on both types of formula but you may find another that works well with your baaby it's mostly trial an error
    bromajamama

Answer by bromajamama at 3:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'd also suggest trying to stick it out, since it is so beneficial, but if that is out of the question, have you tried a sippy cup?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Have you considered tandem nursing? It's totally fine if you'd like to continute, you can nurse both kids when the next one comes along :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Come join the group Pregnant and Tandem Breastfeeders (http://www.cafemom.com/group/49297/), and get support and advice on breastfeeding while pregnant! I'm the group owner and can tell you... nursing while you're pregnant and then nursing both kids is an amazing feeling and accomplishment!
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 7:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009