Do you believe in hitting your child when talking to them doesn't seem to work?

I was just wondering if anyone feels the way I do, I have a cousin who has a 2 yr old daughter and she does not believe in hitting and it drives me insane! I am not saying hit your child for everything they do but when you tell them don't touch that or don't do that and they continue to do it I think that a swat on the butt or hand will have an impact, this kid has broken so many of my grandmothers things that are not replaceable and it's just so frustrating to me I know that when I have my daughter I will teach her to not touch what isn't her's and to ask to do things, I mean maybe it's harder than I think but I have baby sat one cousin who is now 4 since birth and I could tell her not to do things and she would listen and when she wouldn't listen I would hit her and from that point forward she knew what should could or couldn't do!

VanessaCalhoun

Asked by VanessaCalhoun at 2:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that there is nothing wrong with spanking your child it is not abuse it is disipline! That is what is wrong with kids these days they have no disipline if they do something wrong! getting talked to or get a time out what does that do to them that is what I don't understand I am not saying beat your child I deffinatly don't believe in beating your child but I think that if telling them no is not working there has to be another solution to make them stop and think about what they are doing before they try and do it again. I was spanked as a child as a form of disipline and I thank my parents for that it taught me to respect others and there property as well as right from wrong it didn't effect me negitively I was a very happy child! I think this is why we have so many disrespectful kids out there they lack proper disipline!
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 8:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I believe in spanking. Not abuse.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• no, i don't think hitting is the answer.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• A swat on hand or butt is fine after you have asked them to stop and gave a warning of what was going to happen if they did it again. For instance: They touch something they shouldn't. You say no, no, do not touch. and redirect them. They touch again, you say, no, don't touch, if you touch it again, you will get a spanking. If they touch it again, you say, I told you not to touch it or you would get a spanking, you touched it and now you are getting a spanking. Then you do it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, redirection works better for a two year old because it still allows them to explore. Hitting a toddler in the situation described above will more likely cause the child to NOT explore, which goes against their natural tendencies. Parents would be better served by removing the breakable objects until children are better able to control their impulses. So spanking/swatting/hitting to stop a child from being who they are and doing what they all do? No, there are better ways, even if they do make the parents work harder.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ok, you need to reword it. hitting and spanking are 2 different things. a smack on the hand is not hitting either. but yes, it is harder than babysitting. kids tend to listen to others than their parents. for example, my 2 yr old listens to me only sometimes. i can spank him on the butt a million times for a repeated offense, time outs don't work, NOTHING. my dh is deployed so it's mainly just me. i have a gf, however, if i'm at her house, and he does the same thing, and i say something, and it still doesn't work, all i have to do is get my gf to say something and he listens to her in a hearbeat. he knows i've given her permission to spank him as well. just like her son. he's 4. he'd rather listen to me than his own mom. we both can say the same thing, and he'd listen to me in a heartbeat. it's just something kids do.
    Anonymous

• i believe in time outs. It confuses a child when you the same hand to cause pain as you use to comfort, it also teaches your child to hit. Watch the supernanny she never ever condones spanking but she is stubborn as an ox when it comes to putting a child in time out and keeping them there
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think a swat on the butt is my limit. I do not believe in more than that whatsoever. I was spanked as a child and it didn't do anything to me. I don't remember my parents ever spanking me unless they were angry, either.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• BrandonIsMySon has got it right on the money. that's how you do it. give them 2 warnings, then a swat on the butt if they don't listen. redirection? ha! that's BS.

First it's spanking, then it's no, spanking is wrong, it's abuse, so it goes to time outs (while facing a wall), then all of a sudden making them face a wall is child abuse, so they have time outs just sitting there "thinking" about what they just did, oh, nope, wait, now that's child abuse and God forbid a parent find out you made their child sit and "think", so now it's redirection. how much you want to bet in a couple years it's gonna be, letting them do what they want and if kids get into a fight over a toy or whatever, let them deal with it on their own. if they break something, deal with it, cuz no matter what punishment you do, it's considered child abuse.what is this world coming to??
    Anonymous

• and it doesn't teach your child to hit. my son hit one time, smacked him on the hand he hit with, and told him no. he's 2 and doesn't hit. doesn't bite either. he bit me when he was 9 months. gave him a good pop on the mouth and he's never bit since.
    Anonymous