• In the Spotlight:

Sicky girl...

My daughter has a temp of 99.5...she has been fighting this fever since yesterday...and this is the lower end. Just about ten mintues ago she started throwing a huge fit...and threw up everywhere. I have been giving her Tylenol SP? What else can I do!?!? BTW she is 5 1/2 months.

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id call her dr ....
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Alternate between Tylenol and Motrin (Infant or childrens).
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• when my daughter was sick a few months ago she threw up twice. I called the doc and they said that if she threw up even one more time that we needed to get her to the ER immediatly. And she was about 8 months old. Baby's dehydrate VERY fast.... so I would deff. at least call the doc if she throws up again. I hope your little one feels better soon!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• In addition to getting her to the doctor if she continues to throw up or if she has diarrhea (because as mrsbvader noted these would dehydrate her , straining her body), you can give her extra fluids with fennel tea (3-4 fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water, let cool) which help digestion and is also slightly sweet. (Juice is not so good) Also, make sure her body is not losing warmth - have her in a warm room or else have a light hat on her and two light layers of clothing to protect her from drafts. Someone so small can lose a lot of energy trying to stay warm. (Yes, I realize she has a slight fever, but a fever means that her body is working hard on something and we want to avoid straining it further through things like having a bath, having arms or legs exposed to drafts, or being awake too long ) And sleep is extremely helpful. If she sleeps better while being held, it is worth your energy to rock her & sing to her.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2009