Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a young mother with a 3week old baby boy.. his father && I cannot be in a relationship any longer and now we're going to court for custody. If that happens Im going to leave the state and be closer to my family with my son, would I be wrong if I left?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • No i dont think it is wrong. you need support in raising your child.

    Answer by kimberlyp552002 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • If there is a question of custody, it is obvious the father wants to be a part of your child's life. I think that unless he is abusive you should find a way to share custody.

    Answer by alcinoe at 7:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • I don't think its wrong you need others to help you take care of your daughter. However sometimes in some states they can stop you from doing that. But its also not fair to your kids daddy that its less easy to see her and less likely. If you do that make sure that you can save some money back to help pay for his trips to see her and such. I honestly think its fair. Just half of his gas or what have you.

    Answer by CuteCowgirlMami at 7:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • If you're going through a custody battle, the state won't let you leave... they could arrest you for kidnapping. However, it wouldn't be wrong for you to want to be near people who could help support you. Good luck.

    Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • No although I think you have to give the dad like 3 months warning in case he wants to go as well (to be close to his child)

    Answer by TXdanielly at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • If your moving close to your family to have support, than no I dont think its wrong. If your doing it just to "get back" at the dad than hell yes its wrong! I think either way you need to make sure you have all the custody issues worked out so he can be a part of his childs life also.

    Answer by Jaydansmommy at 11:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

  • understandable that u wanna be around family during this time but if your ex wants to be part of his childs life i feel u shouldnt deprive him of it . if u have to leave for help then u gotta do what u gotta do arrange some way to talk to him about it and make him understand its not because of him ur leaving u just need help.easier said than done i know but u gotta worry bout the kid and u.but dont leave him hanging either especially if hes makin an effort to be part of the babys life

    Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

  • Go to your family hun he can be a dad anywhere if you need support during a seperation it is #1 to get it. If you two can work it out try counseling is afforadable and worth the efort for you two. I have been married 22 years and alot of times we stayed through the hard times it is not always easy, especially with a new life, baby in your family. Good luck hun in whatever you do.

    Answer by rosetoes at 7:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

  • BEFORE YOU LEAVE, establish custody and visitation because it could hurt your case if you do not have his permission or the courts permission to leave the state!!!

    Answer by sjmookie at 4:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • i attempted to do the same thing with my child (at the time 11 months) when i talked to a lawyer she recommended me to stay in the state where the custody battle would reside. I asked why she told me that it would have a detramental affect on my case, chose to stay, tried to make it on my own in an apartment with me and my son(week on week off temporary order) with no family 800 miles away. Had no moral support and financially had to move to the state where my family was, went to court and lost custody of my child to his father. It is such a sticky situation when it comes to moving, mothers want to do best for their children and move where there is family support but judges dont see it that way, they could take custody of the baby because the father wont have hardly any time with the child-just my thoughts!
    be care and make the right choice in your heart for your child. ALWAYS

    Answer by brycenme at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.