How do you plan for a baby?

DH and I really want another baby. However, we have been poor before though we are now back on our feet. It's scary to think that in 5 years we might be poor again since the best laid plans can go awry.

Health insurance - check
Loving parents - check
Enough money for the basics and a little bit extra - check
Sibling who will tease and taunt younger sibling - check
Doting family - check
Baby "things" - check

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sweetheart. One can plan until they're blue in the face for an infant, but rarely is one ever really "ready" for one. LOL. With that said, looks like you're doing well. There is an older sibling, so you don't need to know what to expect from pregnancy, is that correct? Here's a list you might consider:

~Set aside 3 - 6 months' living expenses for emergencies and review your cash flow
    ~Purchase Life insurance for you and your spouse or review your coverage and make sure it’s adequate
    ~Consider disability insurance to guarantee income if you can't work
    ~Add your child to your life or health insurance policies
    ~Select a legal guardian and update your will
    ~Research childcare options based on your income and expenses
    ~Create a budget
    ~Get started on college savings
    ~Get a Social Security number for your child right away for tax purposes
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 3:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Sounds like you got it planned/figured out.

I don't think that you can say "I want to have a baby NOW" and have it happen. But I think that, so long as both adults are in agreement on the baby, then it would be OK to go off of birth control and see what happens. Thats what I plan on doing for our next baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't think you can ever plan the way you would really want to. Check on the insurance is very helpful, but the question is, is there a check for extra money that might be needed for unexpected medical bills? We planned to have our little girl, but what we didn't plan for was the extra $10,000 that we had to pay out of pocket after insurance pd there amount. I ended up getting ambulanced to Ruby Memorial (Morgantown) about a 4 hr drive and then spent a week in there with just me and then finally had her and she spent about a week and a half in ICU. Believe me when I say that set us back ALOT. So if you are planning for a baby please make a check for the unexpected that could happen, I would hate to see anyone in the situation that we were in.
    determind

Answer by determind at 3:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I never planned any of my children, God did, and now Im pregnant with #3. He decided that BC wouldnt work for me, lol. But God never gives you more than you can handle.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ~Set aside 3 - 6 months' living expenses for emergencies and review your cash flow - check
    ~Purchase Life insurance for you and your spouse or review your coverage and make sure it’s adequate - check
    ~Consider disability insurance to guarantee income if you can't work - check
    ~Add your child to your life or health insurance policies - check
    ~Select a legal guardian and update your will - check
    ~Research childcare options based on your income and expenses - check
    ~Create a budget - check
    ~Get started on college savings
    ~Get a Social Security number for your child right away for tax purposes - check

Thank you! You added some stuff I forgot.
    Anonymous