constipation while pregnant and LARGE bowel movements?

The only thing i can think of is to eat way smaller meals, but i'm having pregnancy constipation and still eating lots of great things everyday, but when i do have a bowel movement its huge. i've clogged the toilet twice and torn myself to the point of bleeding. i'm eating things with extra fiber everyday, anything else i can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The thing about taking extra fiber, which can be good, is that you have to up your fluid intake by a lot. Fiber, with out being properly hydrated can constipate you. Its really tough. You might get better by just upping your water intake. Try that.

Also, what works well for me is a low carb tortilla by Mission called "Carb Balance". Its got 21g of fiber in one tortilla. They are good and you can make cheese quesadillas or other sandwich wraps. I eat one either daily or every other day but HAVE to increase my water intake to make them work well. Nothing else has worked enough for me.

Good luck.  Drink tons!

MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I used to go two weeks without going that was a big issue for me, My Dr. told me to take fiber pills.
    This is gross but one day I was so constipated I went and bought a watermelon and ate half of it at one time and let me tell you like an hour later I was not clogged any more
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• milk has been helping me! before i was pregnate i was very regular and now it is just horrible!! I try and make creme of wheat for myself at least 2 times a week maybe more and it helps me go!
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 3:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• This was a huge problem for me with both of my pregnancies. I would take Miralax which you can get OT but of course check with your dr. first just to be safe. I use Miralax every night and I have not had a problem with constipation, large bowels or hemorrhoids as long as I am using it. I am pregnant right now and using it so it should be safe.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to add to the above post. It took my body a while to regulate to taking in so much fiber. Be patient and you will adjust to it. I could get a bit gassy and/or crampy at first. (TMI)
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009