Would you live in your dreamhome in a bad location or live in an old run down house in a great area?

My aunt just bought her a very nice 2 story 4 bed 2 bath house in the a location where I wouldn't dream of living at. First off the yard is just DIRT. Its too close to the road and too many trees are around the house and the trees don't even look sturdy, among other things. The house is beautiful and modern but the location is terrible.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 3:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• probably a run down house in a great location because I can change my house I cant necesarrily change my neighbors etc
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would pick by school district more than anything. I pick a rundown house in a school school district rather than a nicer house in a bad district.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'd definitely take the older run down house in a great location! In fact, we just bought a house, and that's kinda what we did. We bought a 1940's farmhouse that's been remodeled but still needs a lot of work to be what we really want. But we have 5 acres in a really rural town, we're off the highway, only have a couple of neighbors that seem really nice, and can pretty much do whatever we want out here! We wanted a fixer-upper anyways, and a house can always be remodeled!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Well, dirt yards can be fixed. Too many trees or sick trees can be fixed.
    Too close to the road is subjective - what's too close for one may not be for another.

Yes, realtors will tell you that the three most important things about a house are location, location, location. But they are not referring to landscaping. They are referring to school quality in the area, crime levels in the area, overall look of the area, ease of getting to other places nearby, how busy is the street the house is on, etc.

Which of your examples would I choose? Probably the run down house since my idea of a "bad location" is crime, blight, and bad schools. Time and money will fix the house and landscapping. But if the house is really run down, it may cost too much time and too much money - no one wants to buy a money-pit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I live in an old, run down house on 5 acres.... with great schools for our dd. To answer the Q. No, I would rather live in a run down in a decent neighborhood with decent schools.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 3:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My dream house has to do with the location and land that comes with it. Therefore- for me there is no dream house in a bad area. Because if it was in a bad area it wouldn't be my dream hhouse
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ... you can always update an old house and it can increase value if in a desirable neighborhood. If you live in a bad area, the value of your house will only go down, regardless of the beauty of it.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• dream house- I have fire arms and know how to use them.

But- if it was your dream house, it wouldn't be in a bad location.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009