How long are you supposed to wait to bring your baby out around a good amount of people? and is anybody else really scared of brining their newborn out and them getting swineflu and dying!?

im freaking out about the swineflu. its in my county. i dont even want to let people come here and see him cuz i just feel like you never know.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 3:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with louise 2. There are many really good reasons for the tradition of waiting (6 weeks is the rule of thumb I used). The baby's body is adjusting to life out of the womb - breathing for himself, the huge work of digestion, as well as the phenomenal rate of growth. That's the body - then you have the brain. This is also growing rapidly ( hundreds of thousands of neurons a day) and the baby is learning EVERYTHING.

The mother's body, too is recovering plusmaking the dramatic changeover of disassembling the circulation for supplying the womb while building up the whole circulatory system for breastfeeding.

Peace and quiet help all this to happen wholesomely. Jarring, garish lights and sharp noises and bombardment of sense impressions (extra people, travelling) force the baby to deal with outside influences and drain energy away from the inner work.

There's plenty of time for encountering the world in later months
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• are you Breastfeeding? I would tell people that if they think they might be sick that they need to wait and then when people do come make them wash their hands before they hold your baby if you are breastfeeding I wouldn't worry to much about taking him out just make sure people stay out of his face

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 3:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i took my kid to the bar when he was 3 weeks. it was a sunday, it was slow, just mainly went to see the regulars that we knew, and weren't there too late. took him to church when he was 2 weeks. more people at church than the bar. i just didn't really let anyone hold him except for family, cuz if i let one friend hold him, i'd have to let all of them hold him and i just didn't want to deal with that. i had literally over 20 people come visit me the day after i had him, and i let all of them hold him. if they were teens, i made sure there was an adult (an adult that's had children) in there. i had a c-section so i was still in bed at the time. i of course made sure they all washed their hands first, and asked that the smokers take a shower before they came, and not smoke until after they've visited me. so they did.
    Anonymous

• your country arent you from new york or something? that would be here in america duh
    no my kid has been out alot and guess what no flu !
    Anonymous

• Back in the day. you didn't bring your new born outside for a month.

Answer by louise2 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i took mine out and about at his two week check up that was our first trip out, but that was mainly b/c i couldn't drive before then, not more than up the street to the grocery store in the neighborhood and b/c when i needed to go somewhere someone was home who could stay with him. with my daughter she went out at 6 days, didn't have a choice we were out of formula and my husband got called in to work for an emergency even though he was on leave, so i had to go get some.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Ok...anon 1...a bar? Really?

And anon 2...COUNTY not country...read it right before you get all snotty
    Anonymous

• Our doc had cleared us at about two weeks...but there is NOTHING wrong with waiting.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I didn't take mine out till 5 wks. I didn't have any real reason to go anywhere. We went to my in-laws house when she was around 2 wks. but nowhere else. I would be very paranoid of an infant getting the flu, even if it's not swine flu. A flu can kill a baby. Lots of things can, so I'd be safe and stay put if you really can. A lot of ppl .don't have that luxury, I get that, but if you don't have to, why chance it?
    Anonymous