Could my daughters frequent illnesses be becuase of allergies to our animals?

My 11 month old daughter is sick... again! This is about the 6th time. She developed a 103 temp. yesterday that is back again this afternoon. We don't want her to be put on any more antibiotics unless absolutely neseccary so I haven't taken her to the doc yet - I will tomorrow if the fever is still there. But he problems are always upper respitory type things... ear infections, sore throats, and unidentified infections. I'm wondering if she could be allergic to our animals and maybe that is what is causing her to be sick so often? I know I need to talk to her doctor about this and I will, but until then I thought maybe some of you had had some experience with this?

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 3:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, very likely. She could outgrow them though.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• What do you mean by "unidentified infections?" Where?

Allergies don't produce fevers (not that I know of) and certainly not 103 fevers. They don't cause "infections" either. You need a second opinion. She could have sinusitis, which needs at least 3 weeks of antibiotics (not 10 days) or it never goes away, I had it for 6 months because my doctor wasn't treating it correctly. She could have strep throat. Is she coughing at all? If so, that could be bronchitis or pneumonia.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 6:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• By unidentified infections I mean they say she has had a high fever but no other signs of anything so we are gonna put her on this "whatever they choose this time" antibiotic for this many days.... She has been sick a LOT. But we only really know what caused the fever ONE time and that was an ear infection. Another time they said her throat was red so she had a sore throat and that was causing the fever but she never had a cough or anything... since when do sore throats cause fevers? All the other times she has been sick we haven't been given a real reason as to what it was. But its always the same deal... random high fevers with no other systms other than occasional extra fatigue and occasional lack of appitite (maybe wanting to skip one meal on the days that her fever is high). No vomiting, no loose stools, no coughing, no runny nose, only fussy when I have to wake her up to make her temp doesn't spike in the night...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 7:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It could be the animals, or what they have in their fur. It could also be a dairy sensitivity or a wheat allergy. You can try eliminating one or both; you can also try a complete elimination diet (see a nutritionist for guidance).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• it could be the animals...try taking her some where for a few weeks that doesnt have animals...it still might be a allergy but not nescery to animals it could be to what ever ur useing for laundry detergent, house hold cleaners, or mother nature...but i would start with taking her somewhere with no animals first and see if that helps.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Hmmmm.. Interesting. This still sounds like a virus to me, which would explain why the antibiotics aren't working, because allergies are usually associated with sneezing, sniffling, runny nose and sore throats from post nasal drip. BUT, while allergies themselves don't cause fevers, the symptoms they produce, [like ear inflammation or throat irritation], can lead to an infection, which then leads to a fever. Rather than taking her somewhere for weeks without animals, take her to an allergist this week (not her pediatrician) and have her tested for allergies. It's a simple test for children. Not invasive or painful at all and the results are usually immediate. The sooner you make the appointment, the sooner you'll know.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 12:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• an allergist wont see her b/c she is too young i can tell u that right now...i thought my dd had allergies and when i took her to her dr to get the referal she told me they wont see her intill shes 5 sincer her allergies werent life threating...my ss is the sameway as the op constinly sick and his bm try to take hime to a different hospitable and they said the samething...all u can do is elimate things on ur own to start with
    Anonymous