Is it normal for him to not talk yet?

my son is 29 months old, and doesnt talk. the only word he says is "da". he understands everything that he is told, he knows his body parts, and his shapes and colors. but he never speaks. should i be worried? we read to him, and play with him all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would be worried. Especially if he is your only child. talk him to his doctors and ask for an evaluation. He may just have a speech delay ...or it could be something more challenging. GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Not to scare you or anything...but I would be worried.
    I would take him to see his doctor and a developmental doctor.
    You can also have the state avaluate him. If he needs any help, you receive help through
    the state in your home until he is 3 years old.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son is not much of a talker either...he is 21 months...and at your sons age I would be concerned a bit! My son too understands what is being said, just no verbal response. Talk to your pediatrician. Also if he is on a pacifier that could be what is hindering the speech. My son still has one for nap time and bed time...but we will be moving in a week or so and I don't think they will be making the journey with us. My doctor said make him ask for the items before giving to the child! Good Luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i would call your doctor and ask him to check his speech out. you can also call your local head start office (call an elem school near you if you can't find a phone number and they can give it to you) and tell them what is going on. they will send people to your home to evaluate him: a speech therapist, someone to evaluate motor skills and a representative to explain everything to you. the evaluation is free and the cost of any therapy needed is based on your income and the amount of people in your family, if your insurance won't cover it. i did this for my daughter b/c she wasn't saying more than 5 words at that age, they diagnosed a speech delay and shes been in speech since then, shes now 3 1/2 and has a new word every day even if it is still a little hard to understand at times, i know she is trying and actually using words instead of grunting and pointing like she did at 2
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• he never used a pacifier, and hasnt had a bottle since he was 10 months old. he has a younger sister, and she is 14 months and says more words than he does...I thought something might be wrong, but when i asked his doctor, he said it was normal. so i recentley switched doctors. hopefully i can get him in soon...
    Anonymous

• if this doc still says its normal call head start anyways, that way you can get a speech therapist to evaluate him and ease your fears. as far as making him say a word, our speech therapist had us do that as well, but it was after she'd been evaluated and we knew there was nothing developmentally wrong that would hurt her progress by making her try. and if you do try that, than start with getting him to say a sound for something after he has mastered that add the rest of the word slowly, like for cup get him to say the "c" sound then add the up part to it and even if he gets it wrong give it to him, b/c the goal is to get him trying and associating the fact that he has to speak to get what he wants
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Get the book, IT TAKES TWO TO TALK, it will help you to get your wee one talking. From your description though, I wouldn't be concerned about autism. It sounds like he understands language, he just doesn't feel the need to speak it. That book will help you out a lot. However, there's no harm in bringing up your concerns to the pediatrician and asking for an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician. The worst they'll do is put him in speech therapy, which can't hurt him. Good luck.

My son is 2 with autism, so I feel very confident in my answer. --Victoria
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 5:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Another thing that I had done on my daughter was have her hearing checked..

They can only do so much testing at that age.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 8:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009