I dont get it.... about contractions

My contractions had been coming pretty normal and were getting stronger, till about last friday, they pretty much stopped i would have MAYBE one a day. Last night they came back like before but stronger and a lot more (but only 15 mins apart). So far today since i been up i had three, what is going on? Oh I am 39 weeks, have lost my plug, at my last visit i was thinned, the cervix were soft and i was at a 1. and the head is very low or "dropped down" is what my doctor told me and that was monday. I do know you can be at a one for weeks before labor but my contractions have me thinking why are they doing that?

HuntersMama09

Asked by HuntersMama09 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ok so any way some women have prodromal labor (I do hope I spelled that right). About two weeks before my birth I had contractions 2-4 minutes apart for 45 seconds to a minute long. This lasted for 16 hours. Then they went away, only to start back 3-4 days later. Same pattern. Anyway two days before my due date I lost my mucus plug and had bloody show. the next morning I woke up with my waters leaking. That night at around 11 my labor started but they were only 20 minutes apart. They were light so I went to bed. I woke up at 2 a.m. unable to sleep through them. They stayed at 10 minutes for two hours and then completely stopped. I went to sleep. At 7 a.m. I woke and had two in one hour. between 8-9 I had 3-4 contractions, btwn 9-10 I had about 8 contractions and btwn 10 and 10:55...they were one on top of the other. She was born then. I like that type of labor.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Don't bemoan practice labor. I feel it makes it easier when real labor starts.
    SandraRh

• Your body and baby are getting ready for labor. I wouldn't call you "in labor" just yet but definitely getting close. Are your contractions painful? If not, they are probably just Braxton Hicks. Those mimic regular contractions but aren't really painful, don't really have a pattern, and don't last that long. It is your uterus getting prepared. Good luck. Hang in there. You are close. Its hard to say wether it will be tonight or next week.

I had BH contractions and began dilating and effacing around 34 weeks. I gradually dilated more and more until I went into real labor at 38 weeks already 4-5 cm and 100% effaced. Labor was quick, for me. Good luck. Go for walks, eat and drink well, rest, and enjoy those special last days. :)

MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• the last few weeks then i do have they have been painful, and i am 50% effaced
    HuntersMama09

Answer by HuntersMama09 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think they call that "pre-labor". I was in pre-labor for a few weeks before my son was actually born. My first labor, beginning to end, lasted 8 hours, and the average is 13.
    Anonymous