Ok, here's another head scrathcer for ya...

do you think that maybe all gods/goddess's exist because people have put so much faith in them? Ok, I know it sounds strange and a little funny, but think about it. We all know that the mond has power, right? But, we still don't know exactly how much power the mind has. So, isn't it possible that all gods/goddess's exist because people at one point or another have put so much faith and belief into them?
And, if you think I am just nuts and rambling, feel free. It won't be the first time and I' sure it won't be the last time someone says that to me.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Either are just rambling or I am truly as tired as I feel, cause that made the kind of sence that doesn't... I'll be back later when I can read without snoring...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It could be a theory if you find enough evidence to back up your claim. If you did a small study though on quantum physics, i think you could find your evidence, & that your idea is no stranger than the theory of going to hell after you die.

Anything is possible...especially w/ the power of the human brain & energy.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• People create Gods and Goddess' and religion etc...
    See Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think you both must be high from lack of sleep =-P Psionics has always been an area of interest to me, so I get what you are saying and have often wondered this myself... after all group hallucination is thought to happen through this and creating something bigger isn't much more of a step. Considering how many people believe, follow, and how what is created looses power when people loose faith in it.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I do believe that spiritual beings can be created by peope (phantoms come into being in a community when back-stabbing gossip is indulged in, and the rumor mill can take on a life of its own until or unless the community takes a stand to stop it). And also that humankind has a spiritual (mind/soul) power which can strengthen spiritual beings.

The Matrix is an excellent movie for portraying this reality. The humans were unconsciously providing electrical power to the network of machines. Now, in the Matrix, the physical and non-physical are portrayed in the exact reverse of our real world: the machines in the movie were pulling physical electricity from human physical bodies, and in our real world spiritual entities draw soul/mind energy from human's non-physical spiritual energy.

What to do with this idea? Master yourself and expend your thoughts wisely ! Transform doubt, envy and fear with truth and devotion to good.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• This is interesting
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I always love your questions : )

I think if that were possible then Santa would be true too. Children believe in him with all their heart (well, not my kids). But the faith of children is so pure and strong. I think that Santa would have to just pop up out of nowhere.

I think my God made me. We didn't make Him.

People believe in alot of things, but that doesn't make them true.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Honestly any god/goddess outside of the supreme being are made up.
    Anonymous

• Honestly any god/goddess outside of the supreme being are made up

ROFLMAO -- prove it

As for OP - that's a main point behind the idea of the Riftwar books by Feist - that the gods are sustained by the power of prayer and worship, and without it, they die.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Actually, a lot of Christians already believe this. Many see anything that does not serve the Christian God as a distraction created by Satan. When power is revealed through another religion or worship, many might blame this as a result of the devil trying to verify a false religion. On the same lines, many believe that when someone creates a new religion or deity to worship, Satan is behind it, supporting it as a distraction from God and the true religion.

I had this explained to me by a friend who is of a different branch of Christianity than I am. His branch of Christianity is handed straight down from God and anyone that doesn't believe exactly like he does believes is the product of the devil's work. He also believes that the hardships in the history of his faith (priests and molestations, burning heretics at the stake) are infiltrations by the devil trying to attack/distract people because it's the TRUE religion.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009