Converting

If someone is interested in converting to a religion, do you think that they should just convert, and work out the details as they go along in their new religion ... or should they figure out the details before making the step to convert?

Should someone convert if they have doubts? Or should they trust that the answers can and will be answered by that faith, and move forward?

[By "convert" I mean: begin considering themselves of that faith, and following the practices and taking on the beliefs of that faith.

Obviously for some religions this is as simple as making that choice, for some a ritual of some sort is involved, and for others it begins a process of education and counsel. But at some point there is a decision made to take those steps and be a part of that religion (or path).]

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You should study and talk with people to understand. But if your heart is there than that is already a conversion of some sort.

I dont see any problem with someone saying they are leaning towards or learning about XYZ because that is where their heart has led them and they are now learning more and gaining strength in that path or that they are learning as they go but know this is where they have been led.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think it has to do more with what you feel in your heart. Knowledge is huge though, you don't want to jump into anything, & then later find you might not agree with the teachings. I practiced Hindu philosophy for years & even grew up w/ Hindu parents. BUT, i just recently began calling myself Hindu (thanks to a cool dude). For a while i did not want to be associated w/ any actual "religion" but when i finally realized that i live the life, & practice Hindu philosophy daily.....then why NOT consider myself Hindu? Thankfully, there is no "converting" involved in Hinduism. You either live the philosophy, or you don't.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I honestly think that you should know of the religion that you are converting too talk to others of that religion do your research, attend services (if there are any)
    But most of all make sure it feels right to you that this is what YOU want...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think that they should learn more about it and work out the details first and then convert.

If it was common to convert first and then learn the details i would've been raised JW. ...which is funny to think of now because when my mom died she considered herself athiest.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree, a person should do their research and ask all kinds of questions before converting.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i think true conversing takes time and when you think you are ready to convert that you at least have a feeling in your heart that this religion is true. there are to many details in some churches to know it all in a few short months and in some it takes yrs. as in my faith. i'm always learning something new about it. so if you make that choice i think in your heart you need to know it's right for you. in the long run you will find that it either is or not. so some searching and details found out but in the end you make the decision and sometimes it just changes.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think you need to know what you are doing; "count the cost" in a sense. At the same time I became a Christian, and I am still learning and growing 13 (or 14?) years later. I will always keep learning.

When I did become a Christian and I was born again. The Holy Spirit began to live inside of me. He guides me in the truth. "the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:17
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you do not have a real knowledge of the the organized faith that you are converting into....you may feel like you have made a giant mistake when you find out the full extent of their beliefs.So, if you feel compelled to change your religious practises formally, it is always best to take classes, and ask questions BEFORE undergoing a formal conversion. Many religions require that you do that.

It is o.k. to say 'Well, I am going to do this now while I work out the answer to _____' but you should be open about the answer, that maybe this faith isn't the right one for you. However, if you are REALLY having doubts, they SHOULD be adressed before a formal conversion. You don't want to feel like you went into anything that you didn't want. And, as much as faith is about a higher diety(ies), it is also about YOU. Real conversion does not happen by religious formailities, but from a recognition of what your soul wants.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I've taught classes for people thinking about converting to Catholicism. For us, it really is about trying to help people understand our beliefs so they can make an informed choice about whether or not to convert.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Research! Not just the texts of the faith but the history books that will have a less pretty but more accurate depiction of it as a whole.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009