Kids and Veggies

My dd has a few friends that won't eat ANY fruits or veggies. They are 7 yrs old. One girl has lived off junk (ramen noodles, chicken nuggets, chips and sweets). She won't even eat regular kid dinners like tacos or spagetti. She eats lunchables and chips at school. He other friend eats home cooked stuff like burgers and tacos, but her parents don't make her eat any fruits and veggies, they dont even make them at their house. They eat pizza like stuff for dinner and said they gave up on making the kids eat fruits and veggies a long time ago. I can't imagine how unhealthy that is for the kids bodies...has anyone else given up? Do you have a certain number of bites rule..or your kids just eat them? Curious what other familes do.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my daughter would rather have fruit for a snack than junk and at dinner, she usually eats salad, broccoli and other vegies (those are here favorite ones though) idk i wouldn't MAKE her eat it but i'd offer it to her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wow, you are really judgmental! Who said that you had all the answers and were doing it right. Why is their home life any of your business anyway?
    Anonymous

• Wow anon and you think im judgemental...its none of my business unless they are at MY house alot! I have to make them ramen noodles when I have a full dinner made. I think it is surprising that parents would not make the kids eat ANY fruits of veggies. Im not perfect..but its not rocket science that kids need to eat healthy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I battle my 2 year old on daily basis about eating period. I have found that its not that he is picky, but that he just wants the control. So I always offer what we are eating, which is super healthy because we have an organic farm and raise grass fed animals for lean protein. some days he will eat it all and other he will just eat the corn or the apples, but I never give up trying. He doesn't really even like cookies all that much. He prefers berries or pickles. So I guess never stop trying. yeah its frustrating, but the days he eats my thai beef curry and tells me its his favorite are the days that make it all worth it.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i hide veggies (shredded up) in almost everything! i guess its not hiding anymore because they know it is there! they have to have two plates of whatever dinner is to get desert. if there are not many veggies that night we dont have desert at all. desert is almost always pretty healthy... homemade berry muffins, chocolate covered frozen banana, fruit and yogurt smoothies. some people have told me it is wrong to deny them of sugary junk and my plan will surely backfire. honestly my kids like the yummy stuff they get, otherwise i couldnt bribe them with it!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I like to hide fruits and veggies for picky eaters. Kids were not born eating badly, they are victim to fast paced lives.
    My older daughter was very picky, and my younger not at all. So, I would blend veggies into spaghetti sauces, I hide beets and banana in chocolate cookies (I have a great recipe, contact me).
    Smoothies are a great way to get them to have fruits too. A frozen banana, some chocolate syrup and milk (or rice, oat or soy milk), blend, it's a shake!
    Fresh, ripe, in season is the best. Dips and fancy cutting help too. Also let them help prepare, when you are more involved with the food, your more likely to eat it.

NoraBean

Answer by NoraBean at 7:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Oh- and no need to tell them, just serve it excited! Look Shakes!!!! Have Fun, food should not create issues.
    NoraBean

Answer by NoraBean at 7:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009