How often should a 3yo have a bowel movement?

I would like to know what "you" think on how many bowel movements a 3yo boy should have a day. I am trying to figure out if it is normal or not for my son to be passing a bowel everytime I change him or if it is too much. Thanks.

Khaotic.Beauty

Asked by Khaotic.Beauty at 4:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter is 3 1/2 and normal for her has always been one a day or every other day. but if thats always been normal for him, than that is his normal
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• AT LEAST once a day. if not 2 or 3 times a day.
    and what do you mean, change him? is he still in diapers? or are you changing his clothes. ...either way, he is old enough to be potty trained and way old enough to dress himself.
    Anonymous

• Well his usual was 1-2 times a day. But since his accident about 3 weeks ago he has been going a lot more. And he is being potty trained. He just turned 3 and goes pee on the potty but he wont poop on the potty yet.. its a work in progress. So I would say he poops or semi poops about the same amount as he pee's in the day. I don't think it is normal but I thought I would ask for advice before I rush him off to be checked out.
    Khaotic.Beauty

Answer by Khaotic.Beauty at 4:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i would let his doctor know that he is going that much to me that dont seem normal he could have ibs a child and even a adult should only go 1-3 times a day i think any more then that the doc should know about......my son is almost 4 and hes goes 1-2times a day but sometimes he skips a day
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• 1-3 times a day is normal for small children.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My 3 yo son poops everyday. If he happens to skip a day, he goes first thing the next morning.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 1:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My daughter has always had bowel movements every 2-3 days.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009