Baby not tired

My son(5.5months) usually goes to bed between 6-6.30pm. he sometimes wakes up around midnight, I feed him then put him back in crib and he falls asleep right away until about 7am. This past week he doesn't seem tired at all. He still goes to bed around 6.30p, but wakes up at 7p and won't fall asleep until 11-11.30pm. He doesn't cry much or is not too fuzzy (unless I keep him in his crib and don't pick him up). Does anybody know if this is a phase babies go through at that age? I really like my "Me" time after 7p after taking care of him all day. He only needs 2 naps during the day and they are never longer than 30 min. Anybody have an idea how I can get him back to sleep? I tried rocking, massaging, feeding, changing, singing..everything

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try keeping him up until 7 p.m and then put him to sleep, cuz the older they get things will change with there sleeping schedule
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ok first off, i have to say, "me time" left when you had a kid. yeah you can have me time, but to expect it every day at the same time when you have kids is laughable. my kids go to bed at 8 every night, but sometimes i just have to deal with them not going to bed that time cuz things happen.

anyway, back to the subject. don't put him down at the normal time. put him down maybe a half hour to an hour later than normal. he may just be ready for a later bedtime, and by putting him down that early he may consider that to be a nap.
    Anonymous

• I would say keep him up longer. Or maybe cut out one of the naps in the afternoon... get him to be more active... not really sure. but whenever my nieces were like that we kept them up for longer time frames and that seemed to help.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• sounds pretty good to me... try a longer nap and keeping him up longer if you can other wise you will just have to deal with it, thats not to bad of a schedule. I understand the me time. I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old and I watch kids all day ;) I would not force him unto a schedule or worry about it too much at that age. They usually switch too this might last a couple months then work into a better schedule. My daughter who is ten months went through three different schedules.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• That is really a long time to sleep. Have you tried a later bedtime?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would put him to bed a lot later, like 9. He will take longer naps throughout the day.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 5:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son did the same thing at 5 months. It's when he started teething, though the first tooth didn't come in until about a month later. By the time he was 7 months, he was going to bed at 7:30 pm and waking up at 7 am. He's almost 9 months old now and is still on that schedule & never wakes during the night. He also takes 2 naps a day for about 90 minutes each. So, to answer your question, it is a phase. In another month or so, your baby should become more active. As long as they are consuming around the equivalent of 32 oz. a day (I say equivalent because I started substituting baby food for one of the bottles at 6 months), they should not wake up in the middle of the night hungry. If they get enough tummy time, stimulation and play, they should sleep better... and my last tip is to try to get your baby at least 10 minutes of sunlight outside per day. I read a study that the vitamin D from the sun also helps them sleep.
    IndieRockMommy

Answer by IndieRockMommy at 5:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My 5 month old is smiling at me from his swing right now. He is teething, but he is also getting older and dealing with new frustrations and changing energy levels. My first son went through this too and it just took him a little time to adjust. It does seem like your son is going to bed too early though, so I would try a later bedtime. Also, if he sleeps that solidly during the night, he may not need long naps during the day. My babies are both high energy/high metabolism people like me, so they eat frequently and usually wake at least every 3 hours during the night for the first 7-8 months or so, and they might take one long nap during the day if I am lucky. Oddly enough, you will adjust, but you should really take a nap when your baby does during the day to catch up! You will be so glad you did!
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 2:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2009