I lost my cat!!! How do I find her?

My kitten (she's 9 mos) escaped our house yesterday. I don't remember seeing her, but looking back on it, I'm pretty sure I know when it happened. I happened around 4:30 yesterday afternoon, and it's now after 1pm, and there's no sign of her. We live near a busy road, so we keep them indoors unless we're outside with them. She's not fixed, working conflicts keep making us reschedule her spay. Our neutered male cat doesn't seem to be wanting her in that way, so I'm not sure if she's reached her first heat or not. Our other cat keeps meowing for her. I've put up posters, I've checked shelters, and nothing. She always got her collar off, so she didn't have tags.

Does anyone know of anything else I can do?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• check underneath stuff in your yard. like if you have a raised porch or a low hanging tree. they like to hide under things. most animals when they do get out, don't cross streets or go far, so she's probably close by, just keep looking walk, don't drive b/c cats tend to hide when they are out in the open where dogs just walk around
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• post under pets and lost and found on www.craigslist.org in your area and keep looking. your cat is most likely close by
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh and if she has a fave treat or the sound of a can opening or something like that makes her come running, take the treat with you or a can of cat food or something so you can try shaking the treats or showing her the can when you do see her so she'll come for it. or a favorite toy that makes noise. open the can, shake the toy or treats by your door and see if that gets her to come out of hiding if shes close enough by to hear it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• we had this happen to us so i once heard that putting her litter outside will help. they will smell it and come back. our cat did show up but not sure if the litter really helped or not. wouldn't hurt. get it out of her dirty box and dump small piles around your yard and close to your door,
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We left food out last night, and it got eaten, but I don't know if she ate it or not. We only have a 10 foot yard, and we live in row houses in a culdesac, so I'm not sure where she would have gone. I'll def try the litter thing. I went out late last night and took the food bag and shook it. That usually makes her come running, so she must not have heard it. I just really hope someone isn't trying to keep her!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm just skimming...so I apologize if its already been said:

MICROCHIP. If you do find her, please get her chipped ASAP.

Our cat Charlie ran out of the house last year...my husband was about to go to work and cranked the car and all we saw was big puffs of fur everywhere. Obviously, he didn't make it. So be careful. Cats love to hide.
    Also, a few weeks ago, I was driving down a busy street and saw I cat running across. He ran right into concoming traffic and died instantly! I saw the whole thing and it was so sad. The person who hit the cat did not stop. Me and 2 other cars did. The other people picked him up off the road. P:LEASE keep your pets contained. My 2 cats I have now aren't allowed outdoors. NO way unl;ess it is a vet visit and then they are kenneled.

Keep ;looking.
    I hope she comes home safe. GET HER CHIPPED.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I've been through this, if she likes kitty treats get a back and shake them as you call her name, she should come running, she's more then likely scared and she will come back just give her time. Keep calling her from time to time and shaking those treats. Make sure there is water outside. She'll come back time to time and it may take her awhile. Good luck.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Babycakes254:

How is that supposed to help me find her? Telling me horror stories isn't going to make me feel any better or help me get her back. You think I don't know what could happen to her? You think I haven't been up all night wondering if she's okay?

Thanks for the WONDERFUL encouragement.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Thank you to those of you who have given me useful information.

I'm convinced a family has her. She's such a friendly active cat, I just don't see her not coming home already, especially if she would have heard me. I'm going to scour the neighborhoods again tomorrow afternoon and re-check the shelters. I put cat litter, food, and water on our porch and in our yard. I've taken our treat bag and shook it so she can hear it. I put her favorite blanket and toy on our porch. I hope she comes back and stays!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I FOUND HER!!!! My other cat was trying to look through our blinds, so I went outside in the middle of the night, and to make a long story short, I found her! She was very very scared, but she's back home, just got a flea bath, and as soon as her fur dries, her stay put collar is going on! I'm so happy to have her back.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009