First period after birth?

My son is 2 months old and i still have not gotten my period. I have been bottle feeding him from the start. When can i expect my first period. I heard it can take up to a year is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about a year but it varies with everyone and even from pregnancy to pregnancy. With my fist It was four months, and with my second it was 2 months and I breast fed both. Don't worry it will come back. I would just enjoy the break.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Hormones and stress definitely mess with your cycle kicking in. I breast fed until the milk ran out when my son was 5 months and also went back on birth control about 6 weeks after delivery... due to these two factors, I didn't get my first post-pregnancy period until my son was 7 months old. For a while there, I thought my plumbing was broken! You may be bottle feeding, but if you're on birth control or have been stressed, it could be a while longer before it comes back. You'll feel it a few days ahead of time, I sure did... so like the lady before me suggested, enjoy the break ;-)
    IndieRockMommy

Answer by IndieRockMommy at 5:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I breast fed and pumped until my son was 1 month old, then switched to formula. I got my period at 12 weeks post-partum.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I got my period at 7 months post partum-- but I'm BF so I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm also 8 weeks out and still waiting.... I think I read somewhere 3 to 9 weeks after birth, but may be longer.
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 10:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• After my son was born in March, I bled every day for the first 6 weeks. Then I stopped for about a week, then started again for about 10 days. Called the doctor, they said that was my first period. I have had 2 more since then and my son is 3 1/2 months old now. I am not on birth control and I only breastfed for the first 2 weeks. I have noticed though, since having my son, that I no longer have the bad cramps that I had before pregnancy.
    irishangel81

Answer by irishangel81 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My wee girl is 13 months and I only just now feel as though I am getting a period. I non exclusively breast fed untill one year!
    caseystella

Answer by caseystella at 7:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2009