Any suggestions to transition my 2 yr old son to a "big boy bed?"

How do I encourage him to stay in bed and put himself to sleep so my husband and I aren't laying with every night until he falls asleep? If history with my daughter tells us anything, we will be laying with him for an hour or more! Bedtime is when I can get things done around the house!

sweetbuddybear

Asked by sweetbuddybear at 4:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you haven't already gotten him the bed or bedding take him with you and let him "pick" it out (just nudge him towards a price you like and let him choose between one or two of them) the first time you make the bed let him help you, make it so its a big huge fun thing. w/my daughter we went and picked bedding she picked elmo so i snuck an elmo stuffed animal in the cart as well as a surprise. when we got home, she "helped" put the bed together by passing bolts etc to me. then she helped make her bed as well. that night i put elmo on the bed before she went to bed and she was soo excited about him, she climbed right into bed and passed out. she never ever once came downstairs or refused to go into her big girl bed and sleep. everyone who came by the house the first month of her in the bed had to go see her big girl bed, even a man that delivered some furniture she dragged him up there! she was about 23 months when she got it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• HI,

I just tranfered my 21 month old into a toddler bed, I made a big deal about it new sheets wuth cars etcc... The first night he got up 11x's, I sat outside his door & everytime he got up I picked him up put him back without an explination (Supernannny : ) he got the hint & got tired & fell asleep now 1 week later it's fine , you have to stop laying down with him that's a big NO NO you will just discourage what your trying to do, if he cries he will live don't give in, just keep putting him back in when he gets up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009