I put my son in his room for "quiet time" and now he's whining(not crying) in there. I want to get him but then I don't. He's been driving me crazy all day today and I need quiet time for myself. Should I take him out or leave him?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its probably good to leave him for a bit and take a break.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• how old is he?

Perosonally, i would leave him. did you explain to him that it's quiet time? or is this regular routine? because if so, then he knows what is expected and is trying to pull a power trip. ...of course, if he is less then a year then i would probably go get him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Leave him for a little while unless he really cries, he needs to learn to entertain himself too. I totally did quiet time daily with my kids when they were younger.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• He's one. He just turned one.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• if you are gonna lose it if you go get him, than keep him in there for a little while.
    i'm guessing he is toddler age since you called it quiet time, which means he can find something to occupy himself
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• leave him. sometimes you just need a break. on the days that my son decides he doesn't want a nap, he still goes in his room during nap time hours. he has toys in there he plays with quietly, and if he whines, he whines. i just tell him he doesn't have to go to sleep, just to play with his toys. lol, usually that gets him to sleep. by now you know his cries. so if he does something, like crawl in the toybox and gets stuck (which my son has done numerous times) you know that he actually does need you, so you can go get him then.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, he's a toddler. He isn't a small baby by any means. Old enough to take care of his entertainment needs himself. He's got this habit that when someone isn't around, he cries. He relies on others to entertain him and he needs to learn to play by himself.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• well, then i think you just answered your own question.

have a nice relaxing break.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Do you mean that you put him in there and then close the door? I think he is too yong to understand that it's "quiet time" Is he in his room or in his crib?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yeah I leave my dog in the utility room while he's whining some nights - he drives me loopy during the day.

oh, wait - you're talking about a baby?
    Anonymous