i asked question about reputable dog breeders and got lots of feed back

but one big question remains or came up. if you breed to improve or maintain the quality of dog your breeding. then with my standard poodle who did have a limited registration and is an up most wonderful dog ever which appears to have the confirmation for her breed then why do you think she was sold to me for less then $200 when he said they usually sell their pups for over a $1000? i have no idea how long they have bred or their extensive of breeding. any clues anyone?

just curious cause everyone that comes into contact with her just want one for their own but are let down cause she is spayed. either way she is better then any dog out there to me be it i paid $170 or $10k for her.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• is she registered with the akc or ckc? you can check the breed standard on the website and it'll pretty much tell you the "value" of your dog... i have 2 akc registered basset hounds, but my male is worth more b/c the color he is and the size of his head but the female is worth less b/c she was born with a dew claw and her head is small
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No offense or anything but who cares? You got your dog cheap, you are happy with her and she seems to be fine health wise. LET IT GO
    Anonymous

• It's hard to say without actually asking the breeder. How old was she when you got her? If she was a few months older than the typical time of when they usually go to their homes maybe it's possible she was brought back to the breeder or she was the last pup to go and he just wanted to find her a home. As far as having limited registration - just because you and everyone that comes into contact with her thinks she looks great doesn't mean that she is breeding quality, if you will. A lot more comes into play than just the little bit of info you get on the AKC website as far as the breed standard goes. Topline, gait, pasterns, etc., a bunch of terms I hear the Whippet show people throw around, but I have no idea what most of them mean or if I do know what they mean, I don't know what exactly it is that gives a dog a good gait vs a bad gait, etc. In whippets there are certain characteristics in the legs that CONT
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• if they are poorly bred leads to injuries on the coursing field. The differences can be so slight that a normal person isn't going to be able to tell any difference but to a reputable breeder or show/racing person, they'll be able to tell. At least for dogs that were originally bred to do a certain task, the breed standard should not inhibit the dog from doing that task well.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• he had 5 other females and don't know about males cause i didn't want a male and she was 10 wks old. she was the runt and i suspect she isn't as tall as she should be but her temper and her body seem to conincide with her breed. the almond shaped eyes the weight between them her teeth her head etc. oh well no matter just curious. it could be they had to move quick and had these puppies to sell. maybe a foreclosure who knows. i wish i had their number though as i do have questions for them.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't know of any show performance breeder that has that big a difference in price between limited and unlimited registration. I charge the same price regardless, unless the puppy has a health issue in which case it will be humanely put down as most people do not want a lifetime commitment to expensive Vet bills. It costs me the same amount of money to raise and rear a litter. Eventhough the pup may come only with limited on a spay/neuter contract, he recieved the same care as the rest of the litter. I will sell a show prospect to a companion family on limited as their intention is conveyed with no interest in showing or breeding. This protects my lines from the owner changing his mind and indiscriminately breeding one of my dogs. The important thing is that my pups are in excellent homes. I have already kept my show/breeding prospects.
    equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 6:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• cont:

The only one that can determine if a dog is show quality is a breed judge or a breeder with years invested in that particular breed. Anyone can read the standard , but to understand it is entirely different as it has to do with anatomy and physiology of the canine physique.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 6:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Your dog can look absolutely perfect but still be a carrier of certain heriditary eye or hip problems that don't affect her but could possibly affect some or all of her offspring. That would account for the limited registration , selling price and spay/neuter clause. There is more to your dog than how she looks, but the most important thing is how much you love each other.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009