Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should i consult a lawyer?

My mom died of "mixed drug intoxication". Basically she took an anti-depresent that wasnt supposed to be mixed with vicodin (all of these she has a perscription for) and she died. She were also on some other medications and she had an overdoes with the anti-depresent and a very slight overdoes on the vicodin, but no fatal doses. It was the mix of the drugs that was fatal, not the dose. Is it worth talking to a lawyer about? Do i have a chance of suing the pharmacy for wrongful death?


Asked by outstandingLove at 5:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 20 (9,136 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • You should consult a lawyer, for sure. I'm sorry for your loss. It is the dr's responsibility to know which drugs she is prescribed and if they have any interaction, however it is also the responsibility of the pharmacy to check as well. Definately consult an attorney.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • you would be suing the prerscrbinging physician of the last drug prescribed and yes its worth a shot what a horrible thing to happen because of someones oversight. I am so sorry for yuor loss

    Answer by katiekruschke at 5:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • OMG. That's awful. I'm sorry. Yes, you should consult a lawyer.

    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • I would definately talk to a lawyer. Because if the scripts were both filled at the same pharmacy, same location, then the pharmacist should have caught it. However, if she uses more than one pharmacy and didn't have current med info with both pharmacies-you don't have a shot, because then they would blame her-she didn't tell them she was X-I am no way saying it's her fault, but that would be their arguement. Another factor is how common is the "reaction" of those to meds causing death, because that would be considered, if it happens a lot when those meds are combined-good case, but if it occurs in less than 1%, then not so good case. It all depends on the circumstances and all the info, so talking to a lawyer is a great idea. Most have a free initial consult-so I would start with one of those. If the first one you talk to says no case, always get a second opinion.

    Answer by mamatware at 5:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • To my knowledge, all her medications went through one pharmacy ...Walgreens.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • she had different docs. i dont think i could go after the doctors. ...but the pharmacy was always the same one at the same location, to my knowledge.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • A patient has a responsibility to know her medications, however, the pharmacy should have flagged anything that should not have been mixed. It's worth making a call. They will tell you if you have a case or not

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • yes you should consult a lawyer and also thanks for the insight a friend of mine died recently and was for the most part healthy cept for mental illness and she recently started new meds...was told accidental over dose on her prescriptions, and i was confused cause she followed the instructions..

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • I doubt if you could get the pharmacy. If they labled the medicine properly then they did their part. It would be the prescribing dr. But be warned if he can prove that he advised the patient on possible interactions then he is clear.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • But anon. as i stated she had several differnet doctors.

    And it is the pharmacies job to check that sort of thing. It's even something Walgreens advertises. any case, i think i'll start getting ready for a free consultation.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 6:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009